• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Decay in molar

J

Jenni32

Hi,

I am a very nervous dental patient and had quite an experience Jan to Feb this year with what turned out to be a cracked molar and an extraction.

I now have some mild/manageable pain in the same molar on the opposite side of my mouth. I first felt this about 4 months ago but it then stopped.

I visited my dentist today, who took X-rays and said there was decay under an old filling. He said it was deep but was confined to one area of the tooth. He said it needed filling but obviously at the moment he can’t use the drill.

He advised me to clean during the day, use floss during the day and use a fluoride wash after meals.

How long will it last like this? Without treatment? Also can you advise anything further I can do to control the progress of the decay?

I’m absolutely terrified of needing another extraction.

Many Thanks.

Hi there, apparently dentists in England can use the drill again, but only for private treatment. Lincoln aka @drhirst wrote a post about it here:

Did your dentist say how long he expects it may last without treatment? He'd be in a much better position to take a guess than anyone on here, seeing how he's actually seen the tooth and the x-rays.

I think he felt at a bit of a loss, said he couldn’t really tell unless he could get in and have a look as an X-ray will only tell you so much.

He did say he felt the decay could be controlled with thorough brushing, flossing and a fluoride mouthwash. I have tried flossing but not great as I can’t get the floss between the troublesome tooth and the next one as they are so close. Tried a floss stick, also no go.

I didn’t directly ask him how long it would last as I was so nervous I just wanted to get out.

I’ve rung a few private dentists today, they have quite long waits and it is very costly. Some charging £90 to cover PPE alone. Then you e got consultation fees and treatment fees on top.

Back