• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

deep cavity filling

C

canuck1966

HI: i had two deep cavity fillings done on April 19. The pain was excruciating so i went back to see my dentist he filed down the one tooth ( a lower back molar) and that seemed to help that tooth, but the other one lower left biscupsid(2nd one) has been tender to touch so he said to just wait and see if it calmed down. A couple of days ago the bicuspid hurt even to touch with my tongue or to brush and it throbbed for a couple of days then stopped. I started using sensodyne rapid relief toothpaste and rinsing in salt water and rinsing with mouthwash hoping that would help and it doesnt seem as painful although when i touch it it is still tender to the touch with almost a numb like feeling. When i first had the dental work done i couldnt go more than 2 hours without being in pain and i have been taking ibuprofen and tylenol like it is candy. Now i can go at least 9-12 hours without having to take pain meds. My gums though are quite tender and my jawline and under my jaw and neck are quite sore. I have been taking penicillin as i thought i maybe had an infection as my face was a bit swollen and i thought it would help with the pain. I also have TMJ. What my question is, is because the pain in my bicuspid is still tender to touch and the filling was so deep is it just a matter of time for it to heal or would be an indication of needing a root canal. I put a cold piece of cheese on my tooth and gum and it did hurt but stopped right away, i rinsed with hot water ( not too hot but more than lukewarm) and it didnt really sting but more of a discomfort that stayed for less than a minute then went away.
I go back to dentist on May 23 but i am wondering if i should go back sooner?
Thank you !

Yes if it's two weeks and you're still having to take painkillers, then you should go back to your dentist.

Is your question related to dental fear :confused:?

Yes if it's two weeks and you're still having to take painkillers, then you should go back to your dentist.

Is your question related to dental fear :confused:?

No this question was not related to dental fear. i guess i posted in the wrong spot. BUT i am extremely phobic of dentists to the point i only get my teeth done while i am under general aneasthetic and sedation for cleaning. I didnt know that i had to post a question related to dental fear?!:confused::confused:

No it's OK, you posted in the right place. See the sticky posting about the intended use of this site? That's all Let's was trying to establish.

You need to go back to your dentist as soon as you can. This level of pain after fillings is not acceptable.

No it's OK, you posted in the right place. See the sticky posting about the intended use of this site? That's all Let's was trying to establish.

You need to go back to your dentist as soon as you can. This level of pain after fillings is not acceptable.

Ok Thank you , i wasnt sure where to post but i think i see now. The pain has now stopped thank goodness! it is tender to tap on it, but not excruciating pain. and sometimes my other tooth hits it and that hurts. I have an appt for my polishing of my teeth on May 23, not sure if i should wait that long or get in sooner. I think i will call him and find out what he says..Thank you for your reply.

Back