• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep cavity odor, is it infected ?

J

justine1984

I have a wisdom tooth that has a huge cavity in it, the nerve probably died a while ago as I experience no pain whatsoever when cold or very hot stuff touches the tooth. About a month ago however I had a huge pain that was redirected in my ear, I went to the doctor convinced I had otitis and she told me its actually the cavity in my mouth that was causing the pain. After that I had no further pain.

Yesterday I noticed a funny, unpleasant smell and taste coming from that tooth. Brushing my teeth doesn't make it go away for long. I am very scared of the prospect of this situation building up into a need to go to the emergency where I can't even chose my doctor.

As you can imagine I am petrified. I have the worst kind of dental phobia, all my hair stands up just thinking about it. In fact I am so scared that I was unable to eat since I realized the smell, I completely lost my appetite and I can't focus on work.

Please tell me, what could it be ? Infection ? Gangrene ? What are the possible outcomes and what can I do about it to prevent an emergency type situation ?

It won't be gangrene, if you could start and look for a dentist near you or in an area where you want to go. Try email a few or phone and explain how afraid you are and tell them you need treatment.
If it has been a while since you last went and I am guessing it is, you will be happy to know things have changed a lot in the last few years. There are some very patient and considerate dentists out there that will take things at your pace and make sure you are comfortable. They will be pleased to help you relax and get the treatment you need.

The tooth will need treatment as you know. To save it becoming an emergency start looking now and see if you can find a dentist that you could work with.

I have started the search but the thought of the visit is still terrifying. The tooth needs to be extracted, it is a wisdom tooth and it's almost completely eaten by the cavity, just a small part of it is still on surface. I have no reason to treat it or save it. Probably just some antibiotics before the extraction.

The idea of someone having to be with instruments that deep inside my mouth is what scares me so bad. Oh and the drill. And losing control. And not knowing if the dentist will stop or not when I make the sign.

I guess the main question is, what are the possible consequences ? What happens if I don't find a dentist I can be comfortable with soon enough ? I need to know what's going on inside my mouth so I can find a better plan of action.

Back