• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

deep clean tomorrow with nitrous, need some encouragement with ppl with experience

M

morgandrew

deep clean tomorrow with nitrous, need some encouragement with ppl with experience

Tomorrow i have my deep clean, i need it due to lack of going to the dentist the last 9 years. I hate the dentist!! I have some receding gums and slight bone loss and my dentist told me this will help me stop all this in its tracks!! ive never had a deep cleaning, although i know what it is and for whatever reason it terrifies me, im chalking this up to be one of the worst things EVER and ive had 3 c sections haha. I will be getting numbing injections of course and because of my fear ill be getting nitrous (which ive never had) i hope this helps with not being in so much pain during the cleaning. i can handle pain after honestly... just not during.

Re: deep clean tomorrow with nitrous, need some encouragement with ppl with experience

I don't have experience but I am literally in your shoes. I also have a deep clean (root scaling and planning) and a couple of extractions tomorrow after a long time away from the dentist. I'll have oral sedation which also is starting to scare me.

Good luck tomorrow and report back!

Re: deep clean tomorrow with nitrous, need some encouragement with ppl with experience

Definitely go with nitrous. I had a tooth pulled on Monday afternoon. The dentist knew I have a terrible phobia of being there. Sitting in the chair doing nothing even causes me to want to run. I know a tooth pulled is different then a deep cleaning but the nitrous made me so delirious that I didn't even care what was going on. The nitrous will make you feel like your body is very heavy and there will probably be a ringing in your ears, but set at the right level, you won't care what is happening.

Kaionsangel is correct. On nitrous oxide you will not care what's going on. Read the nitrous oxide section of this website and it will give you a really good idea of what it feels like and what to expect. I love the nitrous and won't get work done without it!