• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep Cleaning Experiences

S

Sherm07

Went to a dentist yesterday after 15 years and got X-rays done and everything. The X-rays showed that my teeth had no decay and were very healthy. GET this - 0 Cavities! No abscess or teeth loss. Bone Structure is amazing as my dentist put it. The only thing i have is major Plaque and Tartar all over my lower teeth. She said i need a deep cleaning instead of a regular cleaning. Doing the cleanings in 2 separate visits.

I discuss the procedure and met with the hygienist that is working with me. She is very good and gentle from what everyone says. I am going to be numb during the whole process with the topical gel then lidocaine.
My dentist said you wont feel a thing when your numb.

As excited as i am about getting my teeth and gums clean(all im looking forward to)...i still feel nervous about the whole procedure. My anxiety gets the Best of me. So im wondering...Does it hurt? I would like to here your experiences. The good. The bad. Your thoughts during the procedure. How long did it last. Did you take breaks. How did you handle the pain or no pain. Were you numb. How was your pain tolerance. what did you feel they were doing. I would love to here how you felt going into it and how you felt after.

Hearing other peoples stories helps calm me down! So Thanks for just reading this post!

Sherm,

Wow.. sounds like great news!! lots of positives!! I have a recent deep cleaning expereince.. I had Never had deep cleaning before this ... I was freaking scared!!! I was watching you tube videos all night on it and it didn't help. all the fears were rising up. In the morning I emailed my dentist office and said.. listen.. i"m just going to put this out there. I'm really scared of this.. i think my teeth are going to fall out.. I'm afraid of the hygenist giving anesthetic, and on and on. They wrote me such a nice and reassuring email and said see you later today. So I went. Judy my hygenist is the ultimate gem of hygenists!! I have never liked one before her. She is so kind and patient and she took all my questions and gently reassured me , no shaming me at all. and was so absoutely gentle.. The Doc came and gave me the shots. but she actually ended up giving me more and I'll be fine from now on with her doing it as she proved very good as well, didn't feel a thing.. the second I felt the slightest of pain theymade sure to numb me more. and it really wasn't uncomfortable hardly at all it was just adjusting the level of anesthetic in certain places.. I felt actually so much better on those teeth , I almost wanted to ask for the others to be deep cleaned.. but.. they said I only needed that quadrant done. I really hope yours go as smoothly.. If you have a good compassionate hygenist, you will hardly feel a thing and I was only slightly sensitive afterward for a very short time. Next time I'm going to be much better at this.. as long as I have Judy.. :)

Sherm,

Wow.. sounds like great news!! lots of positives!! I have a recent deep cleaning expereince.. I had Never had deep cleaning before this ... I was freaking scared!!! I was watching you tube videos all night on it and it didn't help. all the fears were rising up. In the morning I emailed my dentist office and said.. listen.. i"m just going to put this out there. I'm really scared of this.. i think my teeth are going to fall out.. I'm afraid of the hygenist giving anesthetic, and on and on. They wrote me such a nice and reassuring email and said see you later today. So I went. Judy my hygenist is the ultimate gem of hygenists!! I have never liked one before her. She is so kind and patient and she took all my questions and gently reassured me , no shaming me at all. and was so absoutely gentle.. The Doc came and gave me the shots. but she actually ended up giving me more and I'll be fine from now on with her doing it as she proved very good as well, didn't feel a thing.. the second I felt the slightest of pain theymade sure to numb me more. and it really wasn't uncomfortable hardly at all it was just adjusting the level of anesthetic in certain places.. I felt actually so much better on those teeth , I almost wanted to ask for the others to be deep cleaned.. but.. they said I only needed that quadrant done. I really hope yours go as smoothly.. If you have a good compassionate hygenist, you will hardly feel a thing and I was only slightly sensitive afterward for a very short time. Next time I'm going to be much better at this.. as long as I have Judy.. :)

Oh Man!! Thats sounds so amazing! Thanks for your story krlovesherkids! Believe me i youtubed and googled so much about this procedure that it made me an expert on this and made me worry more haha so i know how you felt but if you got through it without any problems, then i know i will be ok! Judy sounds like my hygenist Meralda who is very sweet and gentle! So i now ill be ok. My dental team actually calls me to check on me and my anxiety. So everything is goin to be ok. Just worried about the numbing. Im getting my bottom row teeth done first. My dentist said they are giving me shots to make sure im fully numb. Note: i want no pain what so ever lol. Thanks for sharing your story! Helps ease my mind haha

Sherm,, Sounds like you have a great office if they ccall to check on you even!! wow.!! great! yeah I was afraid of the shots too.. I knew my dentist did shots good so I asked if he could do them.. and he was cool with it and did the first ones.. then once I got a baseline numb. I did let Judy give me somemore shots and she did just as well too! didn't feel a thing with the shots!! it will be great to do it and be done! then you will be relieved! :)

I have a pretty decent pain tolerance, but the procedure was a breeze. The most "painful" part were the injections. I had about 6-8 of them and got my top and bottom right side done. It lasted about 1 hour 20 minutes maximum & they look great. I also didn't go to the dentist for 15 years, so I was in the same boat! The only thing I recommend is an anti-inflammatory because it ached afterwards; granted, my hygienist had a heavy hand, but still recommended to keep ache to a minimum!