• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep Cleaning - Only One Visit? 30 Minutes?

Z

zenheadbutt

Hi,

I am a 28 year-old male. Due to general fear of the dentist, I did not go from approx. 2012 until October 2018. In October 2018, I went and was told that I had to have ~8 fillings and a deep cleaning. There was a diagram of the deep cleaning on the wall right in front of me which freaked me out and caused me to pass out.

In February 2019, I went to a different dentist (my insurance has changed). They only want to fill one tooth but also recommended a deep cleaning, which I have scheduled for this upcoming Tuesday.

Most of the information I find online describes this as in intense process that is done in multiple appointments and takes hours. However, as far as I can tell this is expected to be only one appointment and the person I talked to on the phone said I should only expect it to take thirty minutes. They did say they would be using a numbing gel on my gums and the insurance approval I got definitely says "scaling and root planing" so it seems like the right procedure.

Notes:
Though I had not been to the dentist in a long time,
(a) I do not have any tooth or gum pain
(b) My gums do not bleed when brushing or flossing (although they did a bit after getting my regular cleaning)

What's the deal? Is there "deep cleaning" for mild gum disease that is much quicker? Is the person I talked to wrong and I should expect a much longer, tougher experience? To be fair, the person who said 30 minutes was just the person at the front desk, although when the dentist / hygienist recommended the procedure they definitely made it sound like it was only one appointment.

Anyway this uncertainty really freaks me out and I would appreciate any response. Thanks.

Maybe you only need one quadrant done or a certain few teeth so it won't be as long? I only had one quadrant done and it was probably 30-45 minutes w an experienced hygeniest

Hi zenheadbutt,

Firstly .. what a great name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At your age, you would be very unlikely to have developed serious gum disease. Therefore, the treatment you require is not that intense, and that is why it only requires 30 minutes. The dentist had to put it into a category for insurance, and deep clean was probably the best fit. Obviously, this is speculation on my part but I would be surprised if I was wrong.

Hope it goes well

Lincoln