• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep Cleaning or Crown First?

C

CCott

I need a crown with a build up, as well as a deep cleaning. Does it matter which procedure is done first? Thank you so much!

Hi, the normal way is to do the deep cleaning first, so that the gums are in good shape. If the gums are inflamed or swollen, the crown won't be a good fit.

You said in your other post that his "sales lady" recommended doing the crown first. To be honest, I'm really surprised that the sales lady would be doing the treatment planning, rather than your dentist. What did the dentist say??

Thank you for your reply.
He only told me what I needed done and left the room. I failed to mention I had a wisdom tooth extraction done as it had decayed.
A few minutes later an employee came in with the treatment plan and the prices. She tried to talk me into a bridge (I already had a molar missing) and attempted to set up the next appointment for a crown.
When I got home I started thinking about it and felt the deep cleaning should come first (I’ve pretty much had every dental procedure known to man done over the years).
thanjs again for your response, I really appreciate it.

To be honest, I'm really surprised that the sales lady would be doing the treatment planning, rather than your dentist.

I'm not too surprised, but would be very sceptical as well. In some huge practices where things have to go quickly and the dentist has to spend the biggest amount of their time with doing instead of explaining, the dentist would do the assessment, tell the patient what is needed and the practice manager takes over and takes care of the rest - explaining the treatment plan, offering options regarding the material etc. and scheduling appointments. The manager often is an ex-dental nurse or has some experience with chair assistance and usually works on the basis of "how things are done here in the practice generally" and the dentist would let them know if anything needed to be in a different order.

With that being said, I am not a fan of this system, as at least where I live, it shows where the practices' priority lies (people vs. money). In your case, Ccott I am surprised that the "sales lady" didn't tell you why they want to do a crown first. And the fact that you find it strange as well makes me wonder whether you feel well with this practice.

Thank you for your reply. I agree, I’m not really very impressed by this dental practice. I will say he definitely was top notch for pulling wisdom teeth. He was so fast. It literally took approximately 30 seconds for the tooth extraction. I will be on the hunt for a new dentist.