• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

deep cleaning questions

K

kristina100

Hello;

For a deep cleaning, or scalar and root planning, do you get injections behind the teeth or in the roof of your mouth?
Is the numbing gel that is inserted into the pocket usually sufficient? I am worried the tooth itself will be sensitive.
I have no significant medical history, will they likely prescribe antibiotics? I have 4 appointments over a month.

When I had my deep cleaning, they just numbed me as if I were going to have fillings. It didn't seem like I was as numb, though. Maybe they only give a little bit.

But the procedure was just like getting a regular cleaning. I believe they just clean a little farther around the teeth. I wasn't given any antibiotics but just told to take some ibuprofen if I felt sore later in the day. I never did because I felt just fine.

I think the name and description sound much worse than what it actually is. :)

This might depend on the way your practice usually works and your situation. In my practice the gel would be used first. For many people it is enough to make the treatment comfortable for them. If there is any discomfort despite the gel, then a dentist would numb the area from the 'front' side. Again, for the many people this is sufficient. If not, then the back can be numbed too. This all is not something the hygienist or dentist would decide but more a result of a chat and something individual. My suggestion would be to talk to your hygienist and let her know what your fears/worries/questions and preferences are.

It wasn't bad at all. She used a special numbing gel (oraqiux?) topically. I asked her halfway through if she was going under the gums. Her scraping was intense but not painful. First she used some device that sounded like a drill, but it wasn't bad. I didn't need any injections at all.

Back