• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep Cleaning Repeat?

L

Ladyvader

I've had a deep cleaning once, about 4 years ago, when I had to have a tooth extracted and an implant put in. I only go to the dentist when there's an issue, because I require expensive IV sedation that is paid for out of pocket for even a regular cleaning. My phobia is partially a result of autism and attendant gaslighting as a child ("stop crying, that doesn't hurt!") And partially because of a sensitivity to oral pain. My issue is that I've been essentially bullied by my parents and dentist to have another deep cleaning when the dentist goes in to fix a tooth a large filling fell out of. The procedure itself is ok, but the after effects and recovery are too much for me to handle. Last time,I had gum, tooth, and jaw pain for almost a month, but was only told to take Tylenol. My mom had to actually go back to the practice and insist on real pain relief because I was just laying in bed sobbing. And my teeth had an odd, uncomfortable feeling for 3 months, like they were brittle. I was swallowing large chunks of food because I felt like if I chewed, my teeth would just shatter, like glass.

Are any of these effects normal? And how do I avoid them? If a deep cleaning supposedly foxes these issues, why do I need this again? The dentist pressured my mom by saying if I don't get this done, I'll get a "brain infection" and die, but honestly, I'd rather get an infection that can be treated medically, rather than endure this deep cleaning that only causes pain and apparently doesn't actually work, while being told my pain and discomfort aren't real.

Are any of these effects normal?
For a neurotypical, no not really. For someone with ASD, yes they can be. If a deep cleaning is needed then you're stuck with it. Best thing would be to avoid the need for it, but sounds a bit late this time.

And how do I avoid them?
Really, really good oral hygiene, so you don't need the deep cleaning.

If a deep cleaning supposedly foxes these issues, why do I need this again?
Because plaque and calculus have built up again.

The dentist pressured my mom by saying if I don't get this done, I'll get a "brain infection" and die
If that's correct, then that would make me change dentist ASAP.