• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep Cleaning/Root Scaling and Planing - My Experience

A

acustenginerd

I know prior to my deep cleaning I was looking for peoples' experiences. I would like to offer mine.

It had been a number of years since I had gone to the dentist. I will NEVER make that mistake again.

Back in February I had an onlay done on a lower right molar. No big deal at all.

I needed some other fillings done, but because of insurance I needed to get approved. In that time, the tooth next to my onlay got a lot worse. I needed a root canal. The worst part of that was the time between the temp crown and the permanent. The actual root canal is really no big deal at all.

A week later I went in and got a number of fillings on the left side of my mouth, top and bottom. Fillings also no big deal. The WORST part of everything so far has been since the start of all of this, my bite got off. I kept trying to tell my previous dentist but she kept insisting that it would change after my deep cleaning (which I did not buy). It also didn't help that she was checking my bite when I was numb. The pain from my teeth being off was waaaaaay worse that any other part. I went to a new dentist yesterday for my deep cleaning. Prior to the start of the deep cleaning, he worked on my bite. You do NOT need to be numbed for this and it does not hurt one single bit. I could instantly tell a difference. Also, he said this may not be the end of adjusting the bite, but if it is still off, let us know and we will fix it asap.

The low-down on the deep cleaning...
I had a perio-chart done about a week ago. Had mostly 2s and 3s, but some 4s and a couple 5s on my back teeth.

The first thing I had done was the numbing. I personally have no problem with needles so this was no big deal. A couple of pinches but no big deal at all. This dentist uses The Wand. Some time goes by so you can get good and numb. The first part is getting the plaque, tartar, etc. off your teeth. The equipment they use does not hurt at all. You can "feel" a little pressure but nothing bad. The worst part is the sound. It is rather high pitched and kind of loud. Once the 'gunk' is off, the dentist will then use a hand tool to get below your gums. I have super sensitive gums/teeth and having my teeth scraped is my 'nails down the chalkboard". On the teeth near the back where you are more numb it is not bad. It definitely is a weird feeling because the dentist does have to scrape a bit. You won't be able to tell that it is shallow versus deep, so that is good. Again, it is not 'painful' it is just more weird/uncomfortable. I will admit there are times that it feels like there is a slight pulling sensation. I never tasted any blood and he said there was a fair amount (as expected). The entire half of my mouth took about 45 min.

I took 600 mg of ibuprofen before the apt. When the numbness wore off completely about 2 hrs later, there was essentially no pain at all. Again the pain/soreness from my bite being off was WAY worse. They warn that when you brush/floss it could cause some more blood. For me, I brush and waterpik, I had no blood. This was 4 hrs after the procedure. I took some more ibuprofen before I went to bed. The dentist recommended that I 'stay in front of any potential pain'. When I woke up my mouth felt fine. A couple gums ( I assume where I am more sensitive or had more gunk) are just a bit sore but not enough for pain meds.

The conclusion..deep cleaning is not fun, but it is not unbearable, not really painful, you can get through it and it is SO worth saving your teeth and improving your health. I have the right side of my mouth next Tuesday. Am I looking forward to it? Nope. Am I scared? Nope. I know that it is only 45 min -1 hr of time in a place that is not my favorite. I really like this new dentist so you should find one you really like if you are getting more than a standard cleaning done.

If you have any other questions, I will be glad to answer.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this, and good for you for looking for and finding another dentist.

Well done you :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer2::dance::dance::dance::dance2::yayy::yay::yayy::yay::yayy::yay::wow::wow::wow::butterfly::butterfly::butterfly:

Good luck :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover: for the next appointment.

Thanks!

Today is the last half of the deep cleaning. The soreness from the first half only last about 2-3 days. When I say soreness it is more of an odd feeling than pain. I could definitely eat soft foods. Over the weekend I pretty much had normal food.

My biggest concern right now is that my bite is still off a bit. I know my dentist said that could take a few adjustments. He is going to work on that first before the rest of the deep cleaning.

As it has been said MANY times on this forum, PLEASE do yourself the favor and get to the dentist if it has been more than a year. I hate the dentist. My dentist knows that and does not take it personally. It is VERY, VERY much worth facing your fears and anxiety to get your teeth taken care of.

I will update after today.

I wish you good luck :clover::clover::clover: for your appointment. I read a lot that people hate their dentist but I think if you look at it you don't actually hate the man/woman that is giving the treatment but the treatment itself. If it is the dentist that you don't like then you should change to another one.

I have spent time looking at why I used to think this and it wasn't the dentist it was the tools and treatment that I hated. After I found another dentist I have over come my fear that I have carried all my life. I have on a couple of occasions hated the actual dentist for the way they made me feel and their neglect of my oral health, but with a right dentist for me I have discovered that I don't hate dentists but I hated my own fear.

It is a good job that the dentists don't take it personal but I think I once read that there are a lot of depressed dentists out there, it can't be good going to work every day and not being liked. I make sure that my dentist knows that I am thankful for her patience and the time she spends on my teeth for my sake.

All the best to you :butterfly:

Back