• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep cleaning this thursday!

J

JenniL

Hello I am 31years old and am having my first deep clean. They are doing all of my bottom at once and I'm so terrified I cant stand it. They didnt say anything about measured pockets or doing just 1/4 at a time an that I had the starting of gum disease and just a fewer deeper spots. Im so scared will i be in a ton of pain after ? Is it going to take long ? I dont know with my anxiety if i can make it through it

When I had mine they did the bottom teeth in one appointment and the top in a separate appointment. You might want to call the dental office, they should be able to tell you for how long you are booked. In my case, it was the same length as a regular cleaning, 1 hour. For the pain, it depends on your situation. For me, I mostly experienced increased sensitivity and it was back to normal in a week. As long as I limited taking anything that would trigger the sensitivity, I was fine.

How did it go today? I am in the same position, booked in for February deep cleaning. Would be interested to know how it went as I am so anxious about it! Hope you are OK.

With the technology today the process is extremely simple. You can check out the most recent topic i created, they had to carve away significant amounts of plaque buildup from my teeth and it was actually a really cool experience with only mild discomfort AT MOST.

Did they just say, "deep cleaning" or did they specify other procedures? Either way, you'll be fine.

I hadn't been in *I think* 18 years (it's been that long!) and I just had my cleaning yesterday. I ended up not using any anesthetic at all, not even a bit of numbing gel, and I honestly feel silly for being afraid of pain of all things.

Everything went great I had some gas and they let me use my ear buds. Its took about an hour and a half for my whole bottom. They numbed me really good like I asked and I never felt a thing! I was also pleasantly surprised after the numbess wore off I only have very little bleeding so far barely pink and a couple left over clots from when they did it. And my gums and teeth feel amazing and barely any tenderness. My jaw is more sore from thw bite block being so long. I am like a terrified 5yr old when it comes to the dentist and I can say a deep clean is really nothing to be feared! Hope this helps jellybaby

How did it go today? I am in the same position, booked in for February deep cleaning. Would be interested to know how it went as I am so anxious about it! Hope you are OK.
You will do great im terrible with the dentist and even this morning im fine no sensitivity just a little jaw soreness and some pinkish tint when I brush but no biggy i had the gas so that helps

So pleased to hear it went well! A relief that it's over, I'm sure! Thanks for the reassurance.

Hello,

I am new here my name is Angel I am 27 years old. I hadn't been to the dentist for a cleaning in three years. I recently got my wisdom teeth out June 2020 and was so scared but it went great. I had my first appointment yesterday because I got to use my husbands insurance. The appointment actually went great no cavities, cracks, root canals or tooth decay but they told me I needed to do a deep cleaning which was to be expected. I had some plaque build up. I am nervous about the deep cleaning though they are giving me a sedative for it, but I am still nervous. My hygienist is the best in town though. I guess I'm scared of the after effect of it. Anyway please share away your experiences please so I won't be super nervous. My procedure should only take 1 hour to do all four quadrants.

Welcome on the forum Angel. It’s great to see you find your hygienist wonderful. What I have found in my experience with deep cleaning is that communicating with your hygienist is quite important. As soon as you notice pain or discomfort, let them know. The cleaning should be as comfortable as possible and they can adjust to be sure everything is comfortable.

For the after effect, once again talk about it with your hygienist. Mine was able to tell me what to expect and I found it quite comforting to not be surprised by anything. Usually any discomfort should be short lived. If you avoid things that could trigger discomfort, it makes things much easier to go through. If it’s 1 hour for the four quadrants, it’s a good signed that the cleaning won’t be too complicated.

Yes! They are giving me a sedative that will make me sleepy and relaxed so I’m hoping I’ll be good. Yes she said just about an hour for all four so I guess I should look at that on a positive side. Thank you!