• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

deep cleaning tomorrow - frightened

D

dental_hell

Tomorrow I go for the first of two FOUR HOUR appointments for deep cleaning/scaling, whatever. I'm completely frightened. I think the fact that the appt is four hours long is what's freaking me out at this point. Im resigned to the fact that, due to my negligence, I need this work done...and a LOT more afterwards...but my gosh, how am I going to survive four hours without having a panic attack? I can barely breathe now just thinking about it...

dental_hell

Hi Dental Hell
I should have thought 4 hours would be way too long for anyone to sit with their mouth open UNLESS they were going to be sedated. What is happening in your case? If you have i/v sedation it will feel like 4 minutes not 4 hours - read some of the earlier cases for reassurance.
Best wishes
Brit

Hiya, I have been having my dental surgeries recently and am only in the chair for 2 hours, then I have to be sedated to go through with it so, is it only for a clean or is there other stuff going on? I obviously dont know how long a deep clean lasts for so perhaps someone else can advise you, I just think 4 hours is a long time to have a cleaning!

Do you have anything to take before your appointment just to take the edge of things for you?

Nobody sits in a chair for 4 hours to get a cleaning!!!

you are going to have other work done.

so please keep us informed and we'll walk you though the hard stuff, okay?

You can do it.

Melody

Hi, guys! Thanks for your support. Apparently I;'m to be in the chair for four hours because of this new therapy I'm going through called perioscopy. She's going to do half the mouth today and the other half a week from Thursday. Why it takes so long, I don't know. I'm already panicking, sweating, not breathing right, but I have to go. The other dentist wants to pull all the teeth, and this one is my "last chance" so Im going to go and sit there 12 hours if I have to. I'll report back when I can -- but probably not til tomorrow. And again, thank you for all the kind words. It will really help me get through this!!!!

dental_hell

Good luck for your appointment :thumbsup: If you're not sure what this treatment is all about, make sure you ask them to explain it to you. Sitting there and not understanding what's going on can make things ten times worse sometimes (unless of course you don't want to know ;)!). If it helps, you could write down a list of any questions you have and take that with you to the appointment.

Let us know how it goes! :grouphug:

wow, I looked up Periscopy on Google. Lots of information came up. you can even view a video on it.

Don't you just love the internet?

What would we have done 30 years ago without this stuff, god only knows!!!

anyway, best of luck,
melody

HI!

Well, I went to my appointment and I can't lie, it was brutal. I have a hard time getting numb, she thinks it's because there's so much infection in there.

But we got one quadrant done -- 2 1/2 hours -- and I'll go back next week for the second quadarnt. Then the uppers will be at least clean. She said numbing the lower jaw is easier, so once we get to that, it shouldn't be so painful.

Thanks for your support and good thoughts everyone!!!

dental_hell

Hi
Sorry to hear it wasn't exactly plainsailing. If the claims for perioscopy are true, you've definitely made the right decision but as you say, you'll just have to wait and see what happens in your case; likewise with the emdogain.

I've just looked at the website and under Q&As, I see i/v sedation is available. Probably wouldn't cost that much more to have that next time if you have trouble getting numb again.  Nitrous oxide would also help - maybe that is also available.

Your own blog entry implies that just certain areas were very sensitive, not that it was complete 'dentalhell' from start to finish - is that right?

Good luck for the next session - I really hope it pays off for you.  Have you been able to establish how widely available this perioscopy cleaning is?
Brit

Back