• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep cleaning with hygienist on Monday. Terrified.

A

anonfemale

I am supposed to be having a deep cleaning with the hygienist on Monday. I am terrified. What will it be like?. Will she probe my gums?. I'm not sure what stage my gum disease is.

Hi there, it really shouldn't feel that much different to a normal cleaning, it just sounds more scary. Have a chat with your hygienist before she starts, she should be happy to answer any questions you may have.

If you like something extra to read, here is our article about deep cleaning:

@Enarete Thank you for the link to the article about deep cleaning. I am more worried about having any bone loss and periodontitis than I am of the procedure but I am worried about the risks I have heard of with the procedure.

Hm. When it comes to bone loss or periodontitis, that's what they should have checked last time. What did your dentist tell you after the last exam?

@Enarete The dentist probed my gums and read some numbers out but she didn't explain what they were. I was so anxious that I didn't ask and didn't notice whether she probed everywhere or just probed a few areas. My mum said she saw her probe my bottom front gums and the back gums. Then the dentist asked me to have the deep cleaning with the hygienist.

I'd suspect they would let you know if something was severe. It could be that there were only few pockets that needed a clean. When I was very anxious back then, my dentist only did a quick probing instead of every tooth.

When you say it's your fault - what do you mean?

@Enarete I'm scared of eating and scared of not eating and scared of brushing and flossing and scared of not brushing and flossing. My anxiety is very high, it's affecting my mental health and I keep having panic attacks. Food gets stuck in the pockets and I'm frightened of how thin my gums look. I have nightmares of losing my teeth. I have autism so it seems even more frightening.

I mean that it could be my fault that I have gingivitis or periodontitis.

Should I take my toothbrush and waterpik to the appointment tomorrow and ask the hygienist if I am using it right if I demonstrate it to her or should I just demonstrate the angle I use them with just my hand?. I hope she has time to read my questions and answer them and explain what she is doing step by step and to watch me demonstrate. I always wonder if my diet is good enough and if I brush and floss the right way or if my gum disease is genetic. I feel like my mouth is the worst I have seen too. One gum bled on it's own today and it worried me.

I'm sorry you're having so much anxiety around your hygienist appointment. Remember, your hygienist knows what they're doing. They've done this hundreds of times! I'm not a fan of seeing my hygienist (cue shiver up my spine), but I know how important it is. Once it's all done, you'll wonder what you were worried about. Let us know how you go!

@Enarete @Emily85 The hygienist said I have superficial inflammation and asked me to press just a bit harder with my toothbrush and demonstrated it with my toothbrush and said she wasn't concerned and I have another appointment in 3 months time. I didn't understand the numbers she read out.