• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep cleaning

G

Former Member
Hello to all

I havent been to the dentist in 4 years. The last time I was there, it cost me 2 crowns and a cleaning. Ok when I was a kid, I would run like hell out of the chair (seriously) I think it stemmed from the smell mainly and the big needle they used to administer.
I was fine 4 years ago. I lived though it. :jump: lol

BUt now!! UgHHH I got so much anxiety, my procedure is less than 2 weeks away and I think about and become queezyyyyy..l
I need a deep cleaning and 2 more crowns they said. My questions are as follows:
1. Do I need needles/novacaines for this?
2. Can a topical solution just be used?
Lastly, if they do a deep cleaning (one side first) can they start my crown the same day? Is that common?
The less amount of time I am there, the better.

I have to get this work done no matter what. I dont want to end up with surgery..down the road.
I was uncomfortable with the dentist near my house who I initially went to 2 weeks ago, (the office was a bunch of chairs in a row!)so i looked up my old dentist and passing on the records to her. Whatever your comfortable with I guess:)
Thanks In advance..
KYM

Hi there :welcome: !

I'm sure a dentist will be better able to answer your actual questions - but I was just wondering: 4 years ago, were you numbed for the crowns? And what exactly do the crowns you're getting now involve/for what reasons are they done?

Cheers!

Hi there

Yes I was numbed before and she put so much in ..i thought i would be numb forever! :cloud9:
When I previously got the crowns, i needed 2 more 3 years ago but Inever got them done..on ehas a filling half way up it the other one is just broken in the back.

I will still wait for a detist or someone to answer for the first part of my question..maybe Ill just ask the dentist.. LOL
Thanks!

They should be around over the weekend :) - some of them were away for a few days... so hopefully you'll get a better answer then.

What I would say (in relation to "novacaine") is this: if you didn't have an enormous problem with the injections the last time, and if you're not keen on pain, it's a great idea to have local anaesthetic... speaking from experience here. What was it that stopped you from going back 4 years ago?

What stopped me? lol

Money ..lack of it
Now its sort of better :cheers: with the discount plans they have
:)

Glad you've found a discount plan that suits you :)!

Some people have deep cleanings without "novacaine" and think nothing of it, while others prefer being numbed for it. Depends on how sensitive your teeth are and on your pain threshold, I suppose. Recently, a new topical anaesthesia product called Oraqix has been launched (https://www.dentsplysirona.com/cont...gel/PHA_66400/OraqixDispenser-DFU_PI_Art4.pdf ), but I don't think it's widely available yet (nor do I know how effective it is compared to local anaesthesia).

Let's has done her usual brilliant job of replying to this but a quick fill-in on the questions...

1) It depends, some folks find it really uncomfortable without anaesthesia, some folks don't mind. You'd be better talking it over with the dentist

2) I've heard good things about the new Oraquix stuff but not tried it yet. Normal topical isn't much help. EMLA cream sometimes works better, as does a bit of nitrous sedation along with the topical.

3) Not a great idea. Personally I'd want the cleaning done so that the gum margins were nice and healthy around where I was putting the crowns rather than have them infected and swollen. It would also make getting the impression for the crown much easier.