• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep cleaning

K

Kaiser

New member here.Had a dental check up last week after a break of 2 years due to lockdown.Very upset to be told I have some done loss early periodontitis and dentist recommended a deep clean .I’m 72 my teeth are like fragile old buildings!Am very scared about this ,the pain and also possible damage to ancient fillings.Bought a sonic toothbrush and Waterpic in a panic.Have been brushing my teeth hard all through lockdown think this has caused gum recession.Really don’t want to go and have this procedure.

F

Floralgal

Hi . I changed dentists about 8 years ago. New dentist told me that i needed deep cleaning. I was very scared. I heard bad things. I got one side done two weeks apart. I was numbed. It was no big deal. Ive had worse at a regular cleaning.dont worry. Also i dont think they would have recomended if they thought your teeth were too "old". Good luck to you

K

Kaiser

Thanks for that.Have calmed down a bit,not having it done for another 3 weeks .

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Kaiser, there was a thread on this very topic (deep cleaning and what to expect) in the FAQ section - you can find it here:

Hopefully you'll find it helpful!

P.S. shall I move this thread into the Support section as it doesn't seem to have a question for a dentist?

K

Kaiser

@letsconnect
Sorry didn’t realise I had posted in wrong place yes please move to support

J

jazzsinger38

@Floralgal This is very calming to read, thank you ? The dentist wants to deep clean mine due to bone loss, he says that I don’t have a lot of calculus, he’s just worried about the bone loss which I think it’s because I’ve forgotten to take Calcium for the past many years. I’ve gotten back to taking it hoping it will stop the bone loss. The front shots scare me a lot!!