• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep Cleaning

J

jazzsinger38

I just had an appointment and no cavities, the dentist said I don’t have a lot of tarter, but I have bone loss. That is why he wants a deep scaling done. I don’t want to have it done, I’ll probably have a regular cleaning. I also remembered that I haven’t been taking my calcium for years as I’ve been my husband’s caregiver before he passed. I just can’t take the stress and anxiety right now. Will doing that help?

I'm not a dentist but just wanted to say that you don't have to and shouldn't have any treatment that you do not want or feel comfortable with. I would hope your dentist is suggesting this deep cleaning treatment to help the bone loss but you are the patient and the customer and its your decision.

Calcium tablets won't make any difference.

@MumOfBoys1985I really appreciate that. That’s why he wants this done. I’m just so good with my dental hygiene that it really bothers me. He said the bone loss was worse in back, I thought that my age was the reason I had this. Have you had this done?

@Gordon I have read that it can help. I forgot to take my Calcium for years and at my age, that must make a difference. I’m 59. I do know that it helps Osteoporosis, how can it not help at all?

@jazzsinger38 calcium tablets can help prevent osteoporosis but they don't make bone grow back

Agreed, nothing can, just prevent further bone loss, agreed?

You’re right, I just want to keep from more bone loss.

@Gordon I have read that it can help. I forgot to take my Calcium for years and at my age, that must make a difference. I’m 59. I do know that it helps Osteoporosis, how can it not help at all?
Because the bone loss in periodontal disease is a completely different process. Calcium tablets don't make any difference.

Which is not to say that it's not a good thing to take them to help prevent osteoporosis but not for anything dental related.