• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep cleaning

Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy

So I am having a deep cleaning done on the 16th of next month and I wanted to know if any of you guys can give me some advice as to what to expect and do they normally try to fix your gums if you have receding gum line and anything else like that tips and information would be greatly appreciated

Hi mikey boy,

I never had a deep cleaning myself but from reading around here it really doesn‘t feel much different than a normal cleaning. When it comes to receding gum line I wouldn‘t know how this would be fixed - the purpose of deep cleaning is simply to remove bacteria.
Is there anything in particular that you‘d like to ask or get advice on?

All the best wishes

Hi mikey boy,

I never had a deep cleaning myself but from reading around here it really doesn‘t feel much different than a normal cleaning. When it comes to receding gum line I wouldn‘t know how this would be fixed - the purpose of deep cleaning is simply to remove bacteria.
Is there anything in particular that you‘d like to ask or get advice on?

All the best wishes
Thanks for the reply i guess one of my questions is how do they go about fixing any gum loss that you may have.

The "fixing" is about cleaning everything from bacteria so that no further gum loss can happen, so they won‘t do anything specific. Most people experience some gum loss due to grinding, too intense brushing or just getting older, but from the dental health perspective, it's only important to make sure there are no bacteria that can do damage. I have gum recession on several spots but as my dentist explained, it‘s not dangerous.

I gotcha I’ve just been a nervous reck about it so I appreciate all the advice thank you

Don’t fear the deep cleaning! They will give you anesthetic, usually topical, so you won’t feel much. It’s very much like a regular cleaning, but they do a much better job, often using sonic scalers and sometimes laser. Don’t worry!