• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

deep filling - did I do the right thing?

M

memos

Hi

Just a bit of background. I used to be fine with dentists, but 2 years ago I had to have root canal treatment on a molar, and it was truly horrible. I hadn't expected any problems and had always had confidence in my dentist. It took a long time, and I had problems with lying flat, not being able to swallow, gagging on the wedge etc. Anyway, we got it done but I felt rather traumatised. There were some minor problems with the crown, but basically that tooth is now ok.

Recently I have had some pain / sensitivity in a bicuspid tooth, and went yesterday for a filling in it. On the x-ray there was a clear space between the nerve and the decay, so the dentist said we would try for a normal filling, maybe that would be fine, or maybe it would have to be RCT if too close to the nerve.

After he had drilled he said he was near the nerve but not touching it, and what did I want to do. I said do the ordinary filling and we would see. He agreed and went ahead.

Afterwards he said to me he is not sure it will be ok. It might flare up immediately or it might be ok for a while and need RCT later.:cry: He also said I would probably know whether it had failed immediately, as soon at the LA wore off because it would really hurt! Great!:cry:

Anyway, yesterday evening it was sore (bruised feeling) and sensitive. I slept fine after a couple of ibuprofen. This morning it's still sore but no worse, and ibuprofen seem to deal with it. The tooth seems a little sensitive to heat / cold but only for a moment.

So, do you think I did the right thing to put off the RCT? I know I might need it eventually but does it sound as though the tooth might settle in the meantime? I don't know exactly how painful it is likely to be if it has failed with the deep filling - does the soreness I have sound normal or ominous? It doesn't hurt all the time - there are twinges and some aching, then it goes for a bit and comes back.

Please help!:(

This sounds quite similar to a post I made the other day! I also have a filling on a very deep cavity which may need RCT in the future.

I can't offer you much in the way of advice (I am not qualified), but what I can feel pretty confident in saying is that you were brave enough to get a RCT before, so you definitely have the character to do it again. Think on it like that if it needs to be done :)

Back