• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Demon defeated !

V

Veejay

Hi,
I've suffered for forty years from a phobia after an incident where the surgery and surrounding area suffered a power failure. I was in the middle of having a filling, and the drill got stuck. The dentist didn't want to break the drill bit, so we waited it out, and the anaesthetic started to wear off. I couldn't leave, as I was attached to the drill. From then on, I couldn't face the dentist chair, and even got the shakes having my hair cut. My teeth got worse until eventually I had a smile like an elephant's graveyard. Finally I reached threshold and bit the bullet (well, sucked it) and found a sympathetic dentist. First visit was a checkup, second and third extractions which were not painful, a sting from the needles and a tugging sensation, that's all. Some swelling, a few paracetamol for the ache, but worth the price to slay a demon that had haunted me so long. Apart from relief I was angry. Angry that I had been lied to by my phobia, my mind full of one potential horror story after another, all unfounded. If you can imagine how a family in hiding would feel to be told by the Police that a criminal who was going to kill them all on his release from prison had died, that's how I feel. Do not let your fear rule you, dentists are not monsters nowadays, they are there to keep you healthy and looking good, and you are walking adverts for their work. Take a deep breath, make that call, take a family member or friend and change your life. Join the smiley liberation front like me. God bless, and all the best x

Well done! What an accomplishment! Thank you for sharing your inspiring story! No doubt it will encourage others who are just thinking about making the first call.

Thanks for your support. I know to some sufferers that first call will seem as dreadful as putting your hand in a fire, but they will find themselves relieved as well, first step. I won't deny my heart wasn't going like a train during treatment, but it was almost painless and the thought of how happy I would be outweighed the fear, which lessened with each visit. Think of your happy future, not your sad present and unhappy past. They will soon be gone.

Lovely words, thanks for sharing and congratulations.

This is absolutely a great testimony and inspiration Veejay!! Yes, thank you for sharing...

"Do not let your fear rule you, dentists are not monsters nowadays, they are there to keep you healthy and looking good, and you are walking adverts for their work. Take a deep breath, make that call, take a family member or friend and change your life. Join the smiley liberation front like me. God bless, and all the best x"

Love the whole thing . but this is just awesome the smiley liberation front!! YES!