• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Denta Anesthesia - Thank you!

F

Flyingv555

I worked in dentistry for four years. During that time I actually DEVELOPED a fear of dentistry. I knew that I had always been sensitive to lidocaine and septocaine and coupled with my existing anxiety problems, had actually experienced panic attacks in the chair. I didn't realize they were panic attacks until I read the common fears section here and saw that people frequently tend to go into "overdrive" when injected with any anesthetic that contains epinephrine. From that point forward, I asked my dentist to start using Mepivicaine or Carbocaine (no epi!) and I have not had any problems whatsoever! My only regret is that I put off getting dental work done for so long that some teeth that would've needed simple fillings now need root canals and, sadly, one extraction. Don't wait! If dental anesthesia makes you nervous, ask about anesthetics without epinephrine. Thanks, dentalfearcentral!

Back