• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Anxiety Treatment Software- Users Needed to Trial Effectiveness

C

cyberpsyc

Hello forum members,

I would like to extend an invitation to sign up for our Early Adopter program, to trial our Dental Anxiety software upon completion. The software uses CBT and Exposure Therapy, and is based on research by Dr. Darren Piercey.

Initially, we wanted to trial the software only through dental practices with their patients, but there seems to be so many phobic patients looking to treat their fear of the dentist that we are extending an open invitation to trial the software to anyone who would like to use it.

You can register here: [broken link removed]

The only communication you will receive from us will be sending you a link to access the software, no spam.

If you know of any progressive dental practices that may be interested as well, by all means please forward along the website.

Thank you for reading,

Natasha
CyberPsyc Software Solutions, Ltd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the importance of the dentist-patient relationship, I wonder how such a software can work? But of course, if anyone wants to try it, they are most welcome :). You can leave your feedback in this thread!

Thanks for the reply! The software provides the same experience that a patient would receive from seeking the help of a professional psychologist for their dentophobia.

You learn about anxiety and relaxation techniques, and then how to apply those techniques when at a dental appointment. The final step is exposure, where the user is exposed to a virtual environment of a dental office and the instruments used. You are able to repeat the final step as many times as necessary to feel comfortable.

I am sceptical with this, but only because it smacks sort of, of role play, which I absolutely hate with a vengeance, and for all intents and purposes, it will never, ever replace the real experience. I am sorry, that is just my own personal experience - there are people out there for who this will work, but I unfortunately don't count myself in with those.

I feel really bad for saying that, but that is just me, sorry.

You learn about anxiety and relaxation techniques, and then how to apply those techniques when at a dental appointment. The final step is exposure, where the user is exposed to a virtual environment of a dental office and the instruments used. You are able to repeat the final step as many times as necessary to feel comfortable.

How are specific concerns addressed and how does the software tailor the programme to the individual? (e.g. see the "Common Fears" section on this website). There's a massive difference between someone whose main problem might be embarrassment and fear of being told off compared to someone who has an extreme fear of needles. Does the programme address these and other specific fears such as gagging, fear of the drill, fear of overtreatment, to name just a few? I'm just not sure if it's even possible to address the social aspects of dental fears (fear of dentist being unsympathetic, being scolded, dentist not stopping when person is distressed etc.). Can you tell us how the software addresses these social concerns?

Are there gradual exposure exercises for each specific fear? How is factual information and tactile knowledge about specific dental instruments imparted?

The whole virtual exposure thingy seems like an interesting idea in theory, just not sure how well it works without a real human being present who can give instant feedback/reassurance/praise and tailor the programme to the individual :confused:. I've always felt that part of the "magic" of desensitisation in the context of dental fears was the opportunity for patient-dentist interaction it affords.

I downloaded the software, and I did not find it very useful. Some recommendations: Make the audio 'lessons' more interesting by having a video of the narrator, the plain screen with a few words on it with a droning voice in the background is really hard to stay focused on.

Replace all the 3d cad renderings of dental equipment and the dental office with actual pictures and video. I'm not afraid of a drawing of a dental chair, and it does not help me to look at a mirror for 3 minutes. Perhaps what you need to do is develop this software with a small focus group of phobics equipped with galvanic skin response monitors, find what images and noises REALLY trigger anxiety and then what alleviates it, incorporate that into your software.

Perhaps what you need to do is develop this software with a small focus group of phobics equipped with galvanic skin response monitors, find what images and noises REALLY trigger anxiety and then what alleviates it, incorporate that into your software.

Wise words well spoken :respect:

I actually saw an excerpt of the software today on youtube and was shaking for 5 minutes solid afterwards - the artificial cold way in which the dental environment was presented did send shivers down my spine and the sound of the VR handpiece was actually a lot worse than it is in reality (I'm saying this as a semi-former drill phobic). I really don't think that watching disembodied stimuli would do anything to lessen my fear.

My original gripe remains that it doesn't seem to anything to address the dentist-patient relationship, which for a lot of people (though by no means all) plays a big part of their phobia. In most cases there's more to it than a straightforward fear of stimuli in the dental environment.

I was thinking of posting the youtube video of the lecture here, but decided against it because of the negative effect it had on me.

Would be interesting to hear though if others feel more positive about it :) - maybe I'm the odd one out!

Could you pm it to me - I'd love to test my 'phobic-ness' now :)

Done - you can have a bit of laugh about my 'phobic-ness' now :teehee: :p...

Or better yet, you could sign up for the full course (see the first post of this thread) (I'm too chicken!)

Which reminds me - a chicken smilie would be really cool :cool:...

Yes, letsconnect........a chicken smilie would really be cool!!!!
From "chicken"jen, :thumbsup!: :ROFLMAO:

:chicken: bwuaak bok bok bok... :grin: (<-- what do chickens say? had to look up Yahoo! Answers for that one!)

Yes, letsconnect........a chicken smilie would really be cool!!!!
From "chicken"jen, :thumbsup!: :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for "my" smilie, letsconnect!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

I will give it a try just see if it helps me to get more comfortable with going through an appointment ill let you guys know how it goes

how long does it take to get the software email

I'm a psychology major. I will try anything about now.:):giggle:

Or better yet, you could sign up for the full course (see the first post of this thread) (I'm too chicken!)

Which reminds me - a chicken smilie would be really cool :cool:...

Back