• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental appointment tomorrow!....help!!!!!

G

glitterfairy

Hi everybody I'm new here and its my first post...

I have a dental appointment tomorrow for a filling in my upper left wisdom tooth and I'm absolutely petrified...

I was supposed to get the filling done three weeks ago but could just about cope with the dentist cleaning and polishing my teeth..

I have even spoke to my Dr about it and he gave me six tablets of 2mg diazepam tablets (take one morning and evening on Monday and Tuesday and then on wednesday he said to take one morning and then take the last one an hour before my appointment...)

The problem is I still feel scared...(about an hour ago I threw up just thinking about going to my appointment tomorrow)

My dentist doesn't offer sedation so I don't have that option...what can I do?...also when I get nervous I start coughing and then throw up...im petrified I'm going to throw up over the dentist...

I'm grateful for any advice anybody can give me

First, welcome!

That's a pretty hefty dose of diazepam so it should calm you down some. Try not to think about the worst case scenario (easier said than done) because that will only add to your anxiety. Can you say what you're most anxious about in terms of the filling? Maybe one of us can help to put your mind at ease.

First, welcome!

That's a pretty hefty dose of diazepam so it should calm you down some. Try not to think about the worst case scenario (easier said than done) because that will only add to your anxiety. Can you say what you're most anxious about in terms of the filling? Maybe one of us can help to put your mind at ease.

I think it partly stems to a previous dentist....she used to do fillings without properly numbing the tooth and I would be in pain so much I would be trembling and soaked in sweat and the dentists reply when I told her i was in pain was "can't you put up with it"...luckily I'm not seeing her tomorrow as I joined a completely different dental surgery but the fear of pain is still in my mind...

I'm also afraid of the filling being at the very back (its going to be in a wisdom tooth)..im afraid incase I gag or throw up with it being towards the back...plus I hate having the drill in my mouth..

I've never taken diazepam before so I didn't realise its a high dose (one 2mg tablet of diazepam twice a day for three days)

Have you considered Nitrous? I use it for all my dental appointments and it helps me tremendously. I also take Xanax for my appointments, so I am sure you would be able to do both the Nitrous and Diazepam. One thing about Nitrous is that it is supposed to ease your gag reflex as well. You might ask you dentist about it. I swear by it. Reno:)

Hi glitterfairy!

Best of luck with your dental appointment tomorrow. Going to the dentist is not fun! I am also nauseous before going to the dentist and I don’t like having dental tools (like the drill) in my mouth because of gag reflex. You could take drugs against nausea before going to the dentist.

My 2 upper wisdom teeth were also filled about one year ago. Indeed, it was unpleasant because these teeth are very back in the mouth and I think it was worst than having other teeth filled but I didn’t throw up. However fillings were done quickly.

Have you considered Nitrous? I use it for all my dental appointments and it helps me tremendously. I also take Xanax for my appointments, so I am sure you would be able to do both the Nitrous and Diazepam. One thing about Nitrous is that it is supposed to ease your gag reflex as well. You might ask you dentist about it. I swear by it. Reno:)

Unfortunately my dentist doesn't offer nitrous ...all they offer is those injections that numb the gums and teeth...:cry:

Hi glitterfairy!

Best of luck with your dental appointment tomorrow. Going to the dentist is not fun! I am also nauseous before going to the dentist and I don’t like having dental tools (like the drill) in my mouth because of gag reflex. You could take drugs against nausea before going to the dentist.

My 2 upper wisdom teeth were also filled about one year ago. Indeed, it was unpleasant because these teeth are very back in the mouth and I think it was worst than having other teeth filled but I didn’t throw up. However fillings were done quickly.

Hi..thanks for wishing me luck..

I felt nauseous when I went for the cleaning and polishing a few weeks ago (I was meant to have the filling done then but couldn't face it)...but the moment I left the dental surgery after the cleaning I felt normal and not nauseous...

I hate that I have to have a filling...but I'm glad you said it was done quickly...i hope mine will be done quickly too...how long would a wisdom tooth filling take to do?

Hi..thanks for wishing me luck..

I felt nauseous when I went for the cleaning and polishing a few weeks ago (I was meant to have the filling done then but couldn't face it)...but the moment I left the dental surgery after the cleaning I felt normal and not nauseous...

I hate that I have to have a filling...but I'm glad you said it was done quickly...i hope mine will be done quickly too...how long would a wisdom tooth filling take to do?

Like you, I don't like having a filling. Unfortunately, I had lots of cavities filled last year :cry:

My cavities were not very deep. It lasted less than 10 minutes by filling. Was your cavity deep?

It should still be relatively quick - less than 30 min. It may take a bit for the local anesthetic to kick in, but after it does, the filling itself should be quick.

If you are in ANY pain, you should let the dentist know right away. The dentist should give you more anesthetic right away. If s/he doesn't, I would never go back there and may even stop them from working in the middle of the filling.

Best of luck!

Like you, I don't like having a filling. Unfortunately, I had lots of cavities filled last year :cry:

My cavities were not very deep. It lasted less than 10 minutes by filling. Was your cavity deep?

I dont think so..the dentist said it would be a small filling...

It should still be relatively quick - less than 30 min. It may take a bit for the local anesthetic to kick in, but after it does, the filling itself should be quick.

If you are in ANY pain, you should let the dentist know right away. The dentist should give you more anesthetic right away. If s/he doesn't, I would never go back there and may even stop them from working in the middle of the filling.

Best of luck!

I'm sure hoping its quick...i hate feeling afraid of the dentist..i was never afraid if the dentist until my previous dentist hurt me by not using enough of the injection

Great news! It would be very quick to fill this damned cavity.

That's a relief...while I'm there I want to ask the dentist about a tiny miniscule pin size hole in my front tooth that ive just noticed to see if its a cavity

That's a relief...while I'm there I want to ask the dentist about a tiny miniscule pin size hole in my front tooth that ive just noticed to see if its a cavity

Good luck tomorrow. The thought is a lot worse it'll be done before you know it.

Wow! My appointment is in 5 hours and 25 minutes...i hope I can go through with it and get the filling done and then come back here with a success story:(

Good luck tomorrow. The thought is a lot worse it'll be done before you know it.

I hope so...im so nervous that I dont know how I'll get through it:cry:

Afraidnomore is right... The anticipatory anxiety can be so much worse than the actual procedure. I have no doubt that you will be able to come back here to share your success with us!

Afraidnomore is right... The anticipatory anxiety can be so much worse than the actual procedure. I have no doubt that you will be able to come back here to share your success with us!

I wish I could say it was all over and done with but I have to go back on friday:cry:

I got there with my appointment card in my hand that said my appointment was today at 2pm and they had no record of my appointment on the computer so someone else had my appointment slot ( when the receptionist was giving me the appointment a few weeks ago she must have written the appointment card but not typed it into the computer)

I feel upset as I had psyched myself up to go and get it done...

I asked the receptionist if the dentist prescribes anything for being nervous...she brushed me off with " we dont give out anything ...you dont need anything its only a filling "

I rang my Drs surgery to ask if they could give me anything (they gave me diazepam to take for todays appointment..and I've taken them so therefore I have nothing for Fridays appointment)...the receptionist was so rude and wouldn't even give me an appointment to see the Dr or even pass on a message to the Dr to get him to call me...

What am I going to do?...i feel sick and upset being messed around like this...and the fear is still there and now I've got nothing to take to calm me down on friday:cry:

That's so annoying glitter fairy, however you just have one more day and it'll be Friday. Good luck and treat yourself to something nice after it. :)

That's so annoying glitter fairy, however you just have one more day and it'll be Friday. Good luck and treat yourself to something nice after it. :)

I hope I can get through it as I have no anti anxiety medication ..

I was thinking the same thing about treating myself ;D...i was thinking of promise myself that after my appointment id go to a shop and buy something I really wanted (to give me something to look forward to)....and that if I didn't go through with the appointment and have the filling I wouldn't buy the treat for myself....kind of like giving myself a reward and an incentive ;D

Back