• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Counselling Appointment - in 15 minutes!

M

MissM250

I'm having a major panic attack. My consult with the counsellor for my dental work is in 15 minutes.

I haven't seen a dentist in 25 years after having been abused by an orthodontist, and most of my teeth are gone in the back. I will likely need dentures.

I am having hot flashes, nausea, and generally can't stop shaking.

I can do this, right?

Wish me luck, and send me "don't cry so hard they can't understand you" vibes.

It’s a bit late, but I hope everything went well for you.

How did it go, MissM250?

Sending hugs and hoping that all went well.

It was rather emotional. I cried through the whole thing. She was SO amazing though, and with her help, I pushed myself and my first office appointment is the 30th for diagnostics. I still feel foggy and off a bit, I had a massive panic attack followed by another then another, so I'm just winding down from everything. I cannot believe I even did the consult. Next, the other big scary for me - letting them see the inside of my mouth. I KNOW I can do this. I've been reading this forum since 2010, and I credit you all for being the reason I had the courage to find this office in the first place.

Heyy, this is lovely! :cloud9:So glad you managed to cope and even more that you have such a great dentist. From what you write it sounds like this was just a chat and like you are really taking things slowly: well done! Many thanks also for the kind words about the forum: if you found us helpful and managed to move forward with your anxiety, it's a huge success in our mission :)

All the best wishes and looking forwards to you update. Oh and recover well, the day must have been exhausting mentally. Hope you can get some good rest! :off-to-bed:

Well done you! I know how scary it is just to even consider making an appointment. Best of luck to you.

I will likely need partials or full dentures. I had an account on here YEARS ago and forgot the info, but I've been here since about 2012.

I can't explain how much anxiety I have at the thought of the appointment on the 30th. I didn't ask for any anxiety meds to go in there with, so I'm flying blind. Wish me luck.

I can't explain how much anxiety I have at the thought of the appointment on the 30th. I didn't ask for any anxiety meds to go in there with, so I'm flying blind. Wish me luck.

It‘s very brave of you to go without meds. If you feel you need them, you can surely still ask for them. So the 30th is for diagnostics. Anything particular that you are worried about?

Actually no, not the tests. I'm very good with medical tests. My fears come from being near the male doctor, and they've promised me a female hygenist, plus their therapy dogs <3 I can't believe I'm actually going through with this. I've been suicidal over it so many times, I never thought I would get here. I am just running with it!

Therapy dogs? Oh, I am actually a bit jealous because that is the one thing we don't have anywhere at all and I'd LOOOVE that. I cannot have a dog myself but I adore them. Just meeting one makes me feel so much better, double if I get to pet it.
Do they only have male dentists? Because it sounds like a female dentist would be better for you.

Yep, they only have the one dentist at this office, his wife is the counsellor on staff. So far, they have been amazing. I'm hoping for the very best.

My fears come from being near the male doctor, and they've promised me a female hygenist, plus their therapy dogs <3 I can't believe I'm actually going through with this. I've been suicidal over it so many times, I never thought I would get here. I am just running with it!

You are doing great and you seem to have an amazing practice.
Here are some things that helped me to cope with a male dentist as I started my journey. Took a while to figure it out but it was life saving:

1. Whenenver we have a chat while I‘m sitting upright, he rolls with his chair to my feet. This brings in some distance and I can see him properly. That calms me down.
2. Whenever there is something to chat about, I let them get me upright do to the chat (and keep Nr.1)
2. Having a female nurse present at all times.
3. Whenever I am lied down, he stays behind me instead of next to me - makes me not see him, just the nurse, so for my mind there is no male in the room
4. Stop signal and simply getting up. I panic sometimes in which case I do the stop signal, get up from the char, get down my bib and glases. Sometimes sitting in a normal chair helps, sometimes I leave the room and leave the practice (the receptionist looks a bit confused every time). After I calmed down I come back. It‘s usually just a minute or so.

Have you met the dentist before, at least briefly?

Such good tips! I'll ask if I can employ some of those for my appointments.

I haven't met him no. I think I'll ask this week if I can do that. Thank you :)

I'm feeling all the feels right now. I am going to take in my music, and a t-shirt that smells like hubby. 1 week until I do the thing I said I'd DIE before I ever did, which is to go get this fixed. I cannot believe I'm finally doing it. It all feels surreal.

Good luck for your appointment. I’m on a bit of a rollercoaster myself. I had my first dentist appointment a month ago after not going for 30 years out of pure fear. I cried my eyes out when it came to opening my mouth but my dentist was so lovely and my stress ball helped. Then two weeks ago I had an hour and a half deep clean which I was terrified about but with the help of diazepam, injections, headphones, deep breathing and my stress ball I got through it. Both of those appointments were such a relief to get out of the way and they were no where near as bad as I thought they would be. Next step for me is six extractions this week and I’m scared of course but I will be fully equipped again ?.

Thanks! I think I'll need 6-8 extractions myself, and a lot of fillings, but I'm ready. I finally found a dentist that GETS me. He's neurodiverse like me, and they LOVE working with patients like me. I only wish I'd done this sooner. My way to get through? For now, it's knowing that after this, I'm going to finally get a professional picture done with my new husband. We've been together 16 years and I kept waiting to marry him. When we finally did this year, I had to hide SO many pics due to my teeth. I cannot WAIT to have pics where I can smile confidently!!!

Thanks! I think I'll need 6-8 extractions myself, and a lot of fillings, but I'm ready. I finally found a dentist that GETS me. He's neurodiverse like me, and they LOVE working with patients like me.

Your practice sounds awesome. I wished there would be more practices like this, particularly when it comes to offering a consultation before you even decide to commit to a checkup. We have a dentist review section here on the forum, in case you would like to add and / or write a review for your dentist (there is also the option of sending it to us and we post it annonymously).. and I have to admit I‘m dying to know what this practice is, just because they seem to work like a dream team.. counelling, dentistry.. and dogs. :love:

I'll write a review once I've seen him, but here's the link!

Their intake form even asked for my PRONOUNS. I was floored. They are amazing. I hope I feel this great after the first in-office appointment!

Wow this place sounds great and just reading up on your posts sounds like you’ve found the right place for you. I’m the U.K. but just checked out your link. Those dogs are amazing, I would absolutely love that . Best of luck to you ?