• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental crown pain when flossing

M

Mobilephobia

I'm really worried that my dental crown has failed. After about a year. Its a zirconium crown which I've had replaced once before almost immediately after having it placed (6 months) due to a micro crack, which my dentist said was super rare, and it must have happened during heating up.

Anyway, I've had it replaced with the current one which has been fine. Except, I've now looked online on how to floss properly as I was just sliding it in between the gum line before. However after now putting a little pressure on the crown and sliding it out I have a sharp ish pain.

It almost feels like when I had the tooth prepared without being numb but maybe slightly less sharp.

I'm really worried that this crown has decay under it or something? Or is it normal to have pain when flossing a crown?

All other teeth are fine, and there is no smell etc. The gum doesn't bleed, and the crown doesn't hurt outside of flossing.

The gum behind the tooth is a little sensitive to my electric toothbrush.

What could be the issue here?

Best guess is you might have traumatised it a bit with the floss. Sliding the floss in gently is the correct way to use it, so what are you doing differently now?
It's very unlikely for there to be decay under the crown inside a year.

I may have done, I can't quite tell whether its the tooth or the gum.

I'm now putting the floss onto the surface of the tooth more, and doing a sort of sawing action. (Almost like the C method except my hands are too big to get a C)

Where as before I was just putting in between the tooth and gum line and doing a sawing action.

I did stop flossing for a few days to see if it helped the gum repair itself but doesn't seem to have had an effect.

I was hoping that the crown doesn't need to be redone, or it has an exposed contact?

Flossing correctly really needs a hygienist to guide you, it's possible to use the floss like a cheese cutter and do some real damage if it's done wrong. I usually suggest TePe brushes instead if you can't get lessons, they're less likely to do damage.
Would be worth trying to apply some sensitive toothpaste to the area. Rub it on with a finger last thing at night before bed and leave it on.

I don't think it's specific to my technique, but after trying to locate the pain more specifically I've come to the conclusion that it's definitely when bringing the floss onto the tooth itself, and using a sliding motion.

I think it might be where the crown meets the underlying tooth...the margin? It only does this on the one side of the crown the other side doesnt hurt.

I'm assuming that if I'm having pain on the margin of the crown and tooth then the crown has been compromised and will probably need to be redone. Which is concerning since, im pretty young and having my crown done 3 times worries me for future replacement due to having to file down the tooth even more each time. I'd preferably not be toothless before I hit 40 as I really do try and take the best care possible since neglect as a kid.

Unfortunately I can't try the sensitive toothpaste since this is above the gumline. So I can't apply toothpaste directly to the spot.

Will a dental x-ray confirm if the margin is compromised?

The margin should be above the gum line though? Your symptoms don't necessarily mean that the margin is compromised but an x-ray may help with diagnosing it.

Sorry, I may have no been clear. The pain is above the gumline, as in its not visible where the pain is because of the gumline.

I changed to a tape floss, and the floss doesn't hurt the tooth as much now, but the pain is still there.

If it's not compromised I can deal with the pain as I only get it when flossing and then it disappears.

Hopefully it's not

Back