• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental dam

B

Bstasio01

I’ve never had a dental dam placed. I’m scared I’ll need one for my root canal. However the tooth is pretty broken down so I don’t think they can place a dental dam on the tooth. Are there any alternatives to the dam? Thank you in advance

There are some alternatives, basically using cotton rolls and other things to help isolate the tooth, but they're not as effective. If the tooth is so broken down that placing a dam is impossible then you can either add a bit of composite to help or else bring a few more teeth in the area through the dam.
Don't be scared about the dam itself, it makes the whole experience a bit nicer in my experience.

I agree with Gordon, the dam makes for a better dental experience. Gives me a "sense of security" and I don't have to worry about errant chips or bits getting near my throat.

I agree with Gordon, the dam makes for a better dental experience. Gives me a "sense of security" and I don't have to worry about errant chips or bits getting near my throat.
Thank you and that is a fear of mine about nothing protecting my throat. The tooth is pretty much open so no enamel needs to be drilled. I’m really worried that if I need to take a break I won’t be able to due to the dam

I’m really worried that if I need to take a break I won’t be able to due to the dam
If you feel able to share your worries, they will surely do their best to ease them. I had an extra stop sign for the dam with my dentist and they reassured me that just few seconds would be needed to take it off and that they could do so at any time. That was for a filling, but even during a root canal there will be stages where it’s ok to do breaks.

The dental dam is really no big deal. I barely noticed it. It’s not tight and it doesn’t interfere with breathing. And it can be removed in seconds. Don’t worry!

I use to be sooo scared of the dam before I had one and then I needed one for a root canal and I LOVED IT!
no more water spraying everywhere, no fear of fingers or suctions going too far in my mouth, it really makes me relax actually. Someone here once said it feels like the tooth is outside of your mouth and that's true for me.
I worried about the fact that I may need a break from it but I never did. I feel relaxed with it on and it doesn't bother me a bit.

This makes a lot of sense! The only thing I’m still worried about it is if I start panicking and need to get up and I have that attached to me ?

Hi, have you seen this thread:

In particular the post by @drhirst ?

Hi, have you seen this thread:

In particular the post by @drhirst ?

I actually did read but it’s like my mind needs constant reassurance.. I meet with the dentist today to talk about the root canal and meet him I’m really hoping he’s understanding. I chose this dentist because they boast about anxiety free dental experience with aromatherapy blankets and Netflix on their website and have amazing reviews from anxious patients I’m hoping my worries will be put to rest today. It’s a premolar with 1 root so I’ve read it could be done quickly and it’s already broken open

That sounds like a good plan ?! Best of luck and let us know how you get on ?

I’m still worried about it is if I start panicking and need to get up and I have that attached to me ?

For me it's sometimes helpful to imagine things. If you panic during treatment and need to get up immediatelly, then there is, in the first place a dentist and a nurse somehow attached to your tooth. To get up during any stage of treatment you would have to let them know so that they can step back quickly and let you get up. This takes a second. And in this second, if you agree on a separate sign so that your dentist understands that they should remove the dam, then in a second you will be free of it.

Hope your dentist will give you reassurance. Experience shows that people (and yes, even phobics) rather love the dam then hate it. I know it makes no sense to you right now, but the dam makes the procedure feel like it's not happening in your mouth at all. Chances are that you will panic much less than you usually do.

Bstasio01,

Hello.. I can so understand the fear of the unknown of how it will be like and the not being able to quickly get away and break if need be. Like feeling of being trapped somehow and having less control. I so agree with all the others., like Enarete said about having a special sign with the dentist for this need, and discussing it especially and just knowing that the dentist and staff get your anxiety and agree to help you in this way and reassure you. I can say as a very very anxious patient whose had her share of root canals.. and afraid of things dropping. It really IS a security blanket for me now knowing it protects me from this and anything dropping when working on me. Its hard to do new things in the dental chair. Give yourself grace for sure and try to really talk to your dental team like the others said :).

Back