• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Dental dams during Wisdom tooth surgery

Ebony

Ebony

I’m going to an Oral Surgeon soon to remove a wisdom tooth and one thing that worries me is the dental dams. Is it common to have one during that kind of a surgery? And can I choose to not have it if so?
Have not had one before and don’t like the thought of having it either. To have half of my face covered, I’ll rather risk the infection or whatever the reason why they use it is :(.

R

RP

I'm not a dentist, but I think using a dental dam on a tooth only to pull it out, wouldn't make much sense.

Ebony

Ebony

This is a bit more complicated than a normal surgery and that’s why I wonder. He can't just take it "straight" out... :(

R

RP

Still I think it would just get in the way.... usually dental dams are used for root canals- all those little fiddly files and keeping the tooth sterile and using disinfectant in the tooth etc......

I had 4 teeth surgically removed- no dental dam.

NotAloneISee

NotAloneISee

I have had four wisdom teeth pulled (one impacted and complicated) and two regular teeth pulled. I have had one root canal (years ago).

Never have I had a rubber dam used. And yes, I am afraid of one...probably cuz I never have had one...and because I am afraid of gagging.

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
No, a rubber dam wouldn't be used when removing a tooth - it would be kind of pointless and in the way :).

G

GrahamDee

I have had a rubber dam used during some root surgery and it wasn't all that bad. Hardly noticed it to be honest, and it stopped all the chippings and debris going into my mouth and having to summon willpower not to swallow it all.