• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental dams during Wisdom tooth surgery

Ebony

Ebony

I’m going to an Oral Surgeon soon to remove a wisdom tooth and one thing that worries me is the dental dams. Is it common to have one during that kind of a surgery? And can I choose to not have it if so?
Have not had one before and don’t like the thought of having it either. To have half of my face covered, I’ll rather risk the infection or whatever the reason why they use it is :(.

I'm not a dentist, but I think using a dental dam on a tooth only to pull it out, wouldn't make much sense.

This is a bit more complicated than a normal surgery and that’s why I wonder. He can't just take it "straight" out... :(

Still I think it would just get in the way.... usually dental dams are used for root canals- all those little fiddly files and keeping the tooth sterile and using disinfectant in the tooth etc......

I had 4 teeth surgically removed- no dental dam.

I have had four wisdom teeth pulled (one impacted and complicated) and two regular teeth pulled. I have had one root canal (years ago).

Never have I had a rubber dam used. And yes, I am afraid of one...probably cuz I never have had one...and because I am afraid of gagging.

No, a rubber dam wouldn't be used when removing a tooth - it would be kind of pointless and in the way :).

I have had a rubber dam used during some root surgery and it wasn't all that bad. Hardly noticed it to be honest, and it stopped all the chippings and debris going into my mouth and having to summon willpower not to swallow it all.