• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Dams

carole

carole

Forum Buddy
I have just been reading a thread about dental dams, this got me wondering what others might think about these.
I had one used on me for the first time ever just before Christmas while having a root canal. I had never heard of these even though years ago I had a root canal in another tooth, although I didn't know that is what I had had. It was my now dentist that said that it wasn't just a normal filling it had rct. Years ago we didn't really know a lot about dental procedures we just got them.

To get back to the subject, I love the dental dam because I worry about things, like bits of filling etc... going down my throat and this stops it also I don't have to think about where my tongue is.
I would like it if they could be used for all fillings for this reason.

What do you think of dental dams?

Hey

I love rubber dam. It is so much comfortable for the patient and for the dentist.
We should encourge dentists to use it in every suitable treatment.

I agree it makes treatment much less of a worry, not having to contend with bits of tooth or old filling, I don't think your mouth waters as much either as I don't feel the need to swallow all the time. They are very comfortable as well.

Moved this as it is dental related not 'off topic'.

Dental dams - love 'em. They add to the costs of a procedure and increase the time required and patients need to be numb for them to be comfortable but they are totally worth it and the increased costs/need to numb etc may be why some charlatans go without them.

They are essential for root canals but can be used for all fillings - just ask. Good for composites too. Amalgam doesn't need such good isolation to be successful though but it never does any harm lol.

In the USA all dental schools instruct students in the use of a rubber dam. It was mandatory for my school. I still routinely use it but there are some cases where it is easier without it so I don't always use it.

In the USA all dental schools instruct students in the use of a rubber dam. It was mandatory for my school. I still routinely use it but there are some cases where it is easier without it so I don't always use it.

I second that.

I totally disagree. I have dental anxiety and I ABSOLUTELY HATED the dental dam. Freaked me out having something like that stuck in my mouth.

I wouldn't say I enjoyed it ;), but I would choose one every time over not having one. I was less fearful of things falling into my mouth and swallowing things. I just felt protected, in the same way as having the goggles on makes me feel better as nothing will accidentally poke me in the eye. Also, I am often very aware that my tongue is all over the place during treatment and I am trying to concentrate on keeping it out of the way, with the dam I just rested it normally and felt my mouth was more relaxed. I felt slightly removed psychologically from the procedure, it was my one tooth being worked on and not my whole mouth. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that it was clamped on to the tooth, so if I wanted to escape quickly I couldn't...I know they can take it off quickly, but mentally with panic attacks I like to know I have a quick escape route (not that I ever have needed it, but nice to know its there lol)

I will add that I am very careful how I introduce a rubber dam to an apprehensive patient or anyone who is a gagger. Most of the time even these patients prefer its use when introduced as a way to protect their airway and give them a different level of control.

I found that as long as I am numb and it is comfy on my gum, it is much better, I hate the spray of water you can get from the drill, I hate the drill full stop anyway. But it is easy for the dentist to flip off, if you needed, they do it to x ray your mouth when doing a rct, they leave it on the tooth but the frame is taken off, and it only takes a second. I would always have one if the choice was there. I don't have a gag problem though, I can feel quite paniced when one isn't used and the bits are in your mouth from drilling, because I really feel like I could choke or start coughing from the bits that are unavoidable. I always feel more relaxed when one is used.

But it is easy for the dentist to flip off

Sorry ??? Look up a definition for this phrase Carole..... LOL

Oh right :ROFLMAO: :whistle:

Oh dear, it is easy for them to loosen the frame and remove it to allow them to take x rays. Or if a break is needed.

Sorry about that, I often say that something flips off, or if you flip it over and such like, guess I'll have to refrain from using this phrase. :ROFLMAO:

Trust you Carys, :whistle:

....and TRUST YOU Carole to say it in the first place LOL !!!!!!

Well it's all down to how the mind works. Mine is as pure as the driven snow :ROFLMAO:

Or I'm not very well educated :redface:

Must invest in a thesaurus. :dunno:

I'm very glad that my dentist doesn't use one. Hadn't heard of one before coming here and after looking at some images ....

They are only a square of rubber with a pattern of teeth in, they punch a hole in the area they want to put over your tooth, it then fits over the tooth so that everything other than the tooth they are working on is covered. They attach this to a frame, they also seal around the tooth and the dam so that it is totally isolated and when they use the bleach to clean the tooth out it makes sure you don't swallow any.

They are usually used when doing a root canal as it helps them to be a success. They are not to be feared, they are a brilliant thing.

I absolutely hate the dental dam! Makes me feel closterphobic, anxious and I have to fight off a panic attack.