• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental dams

S

stlcardsman

:confused:
First of all, I am extremely phobic about dental procedures. My biggest problem is that I cannot keep my mouth open for long periods of time, as I have to swallow. I am scheduled for a root canal treatment next week (first root canal(, and I am petrified of the dental dam. I cannot have my mouth forced open. I feel out of control, and I panic. I am very afraid. Is there anything I can do?

Hi there :welcome:,

apologies if I answer your question with questions, but is there anything your dentist (or endodontist, as the case may be) could do to make you feel more in control of things?

It's important to let them know how you feel and to share your concerns and fears (just sharing the problem can be a big help). Together, you may be able to come up with some sort of solution which will make things bearable for you?

Thank you for your reply. I will certainly discuss my concerns with my dentist.