• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Destiny (or Mysteries of My Mouth!)

Thank you so much for referring me to your journey!! I now feel a little calmer today! Glad everything is going well and I hope to share my journey starting Wednesday. I do also have a journal :) Thanks again!! And CONGRATULATIONS on your new beautiful smile!:yay:

Thank you Ambersue -

Sorry it took so long to respond, but with my work complete I don't check the site too often anymore.

I did go in to have my teeth cleaned last week (all 6 of them!! LOL), and I am still doing fine. Everything still fits well. My upper full denture moves a bit when I eat something hard or sticky, but I've learned to hold my denture in place while eating, so it's not a big deal.

My bottoms fit perfectly now, except that the front tooth is still lower than it should be, but my own front teeth aren't even anyway, so I can live with it. Right now I can't afford to have another set made, we'll see about maybe next year when my insurance renews . . . but the look doesn't bother me at all, and at least there is a tooth there, that's the main thing.

Still haven't tried corn on the cob, and anything I KNOW I'll have trouble biting into I either tear apart (like hard crust Italian bread), or cut into bite sized pieces.

You learn what you can and can't eat through experience, and I've learned a great deal about myself as well. I am stronger than I thought I could be!!

That's all for now - - -Good luck in your journey AmberSue, I wish you the BEST!!

A Full Year Later!

Well, it's been a full year since my journey began with the broken front capped tooth!

HELPFUL HINT for denture wearing smokers:
POLIDENT for SMOKERS!!

I had noticed in the last few weeks that I was getting a build up of brown stains on the back and inside of my dentures. It took a LOT of brushing to get it off, and I wasn't sure if it was nicotine or food stains, or a combination of both.

The other day in the grocery store I was going to get some more Efferdent tabs, but I noticed the Polident for Smokers. I tried it that night when I was soaking my dentures, and when I pulled them out of th tub the next morning - WOW - not a stain to be seen!! What a fantastic thing!!

Not having any problems to speak of, all is going well. I just thought the update and letting y'all know about the Polident would be good!

Yvonne I absolutely had to post to say thank you for taking the time to maintain this journal. Looking at the dates it's some years ago now but it's still perfect reading for a panicky newbie with an immediate denture and a mouth full of blood and pain. I had my remaining 6 upper teeth removed and an immediate denture fitted yesterday and when I was panicking last night my google search brought up your post.
I don't quite know how to convey to you just what a gift your balance of reality, help, and positive thoughts have been except to say that I slept much easier last night after reading it.

thanks so much for bothering to do it. :jump: I'm really grateful
Kat

I can't believe that it's been 8 years since I had started my denture journey.
When I came back to the site, I had forgotten my login information and registered as a different user!!
Scrolled through and managed to find my journal and just re-read most of it.

I am still grateful that I had my dentures done - and I still use the same top denture.
One of these days I will have to go get a new one made, as this one fits terribly now, as my mouth has changed so much over the years.
Due to a change in jobs recently, I no longer have the dental insurance, so I will have to save up the money to get a new denture made. Maybe I'll get the money together in time for my birthday in September!! That would be a lovely birthday present to myself, don't ya think??!! LOL

Thank you SO MUCH for this journal Yvonne! I’m just starting my journey and this has helped me tremendously. I’ve heard about the bad times ad nauseam and it was fantastic to read about the good times! It gives me hope. :jump:

Wow - who would belive that it's been 14 years - Holy Moly Batman! - since I first wrote on this forum?!?!
Well, as I had had an immediate full upper denture done, and a partial lower denture - I knew the day would come where I'd need a new full upper denture, and a new partial or full lower denture. That day is coming up fast as I am still using the dentures that I had gotten done back in 2010 (can you believe it??). I'm doing research now, and looking into the cost of having snap-in full dentures on the bottom. This will mean the removal of my last 6 teeth on the bottom (that 2nd tooth that was to be pulled is STILL in my mouth!), having implanted posts for the bottoms to hold onto, and then having a completely new full upper made. I am currently not working, so the cost of this is going to be out of pocket, which is scary - and might end end up with having to go with just a standard full denture on the bottom. The extractions HAVE to happen as my teeth are starting to crumble apart in the last few months. I am having to wait on some money to come in before I can make any appointments, but will again be recording my journey through this process here for those interested in following it.
Cheers to all!!

Back