• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dental error=apicoectomy?

G

Former Member
I recently had a root canal and the dentist put the filling material all the way past the canals up into either my bone or my sinus. I'm in severe pain and i now have to have an apico. Is this because the dentist over extended the filling material? my endodontist said it's because the root canal failed, but how can that material up there NOT be causing a problem. thanks,
Brienna

Root canal filling materials are basically two things. A bulk filling material, usually gutta percha, a sort of plastic, and a sealant paste.

It's now the accepted standard for completed endo fillings to have small "puffs" of sealant out of the end of the canals. The theory is that it's important to have all the canal filled and if you don't see a puff then you haven't filled all of the canal.

Assuming that what's out of the end of the canal is sealant then that's an inert material and won't cause you any significant pain afterwards. Generally your body will digest the extra over a couple of months.

However, if the stuff that's poking out the end of the canal is the root filling material, not the sealant, then that's likely to cause more problems, because it isn't digested by your body.

It's really impossible to comment without seeing an x-ray of the tooth.

Gordon's absolutely right. It's really difficult to answer your question without seeing an x-ray of the root canal tooth.

Like everything else in life, root canals are not 100% successful all the time. If the root canal is not successful, as it seems in your case, the choice of treatment is really limited to, 1. redo the root canal 2. an apicoectomy (as you alluded to) or 3. extract the tooth.

Certainly, I think the apicoectomy might be the treatment of choice.

Glenn