• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental faith healing

D

Diana

Hi everyone. Given that this topic is something that's rather out of the mainstream, I figured it might be a little controversial, so, I decided to post it here in this "Your Two Cents Worth" forum.

I am curious to hear about any experiences any of you might have had with dental faith healing - whether good experiences (such as, it actually worked) or bad experiences (disappointments, failures, etc.).

Also, has anyone heard of the Rev. Dr. Willard Fuller, who claims to have helped facilitate over 40,000 dental faith healings? I'd be very interested to hear of any experiences with him.

Here's his website: [link removed - quackery] . He also has two entire books available for free on his website, which detail a lot of rather extraordinary anecdotes. I'd be interested to hear opinions on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I could relate a few not too impressive anecdotes, myself... :)

When I was 13 or 14, I actually attended a faith healing service given by Willard Fuller at a local church.  At the time, I didn't have any dental problems which I thought merited going up for a healing, so, I just observed.

I don't really remember how many people were there - definitely more than 10, but probably less than 40.  And, out of those - one person supposedly did have a gold filling supposedly spontaneously appear in her mouth.

I was skeptical even at that relatively young age, so I could hardly believe a miracle really occurred.  But, I was too shy to go up and demand to take a closer look - and, I wasn't involved enough in that church to know the person and to know whether or not she was probably honest and sincere.

So, for lack of investigation, I'll probably never know for sure what really might have happened.  The end. :)

As for other experiences of mine with faith and attempted dental healing... well, as many people probably do, I've many times attempted desperate prayers to God to help me with various dental needs.  (I've always figured, even if it can't help, it probably can't hurt).

As you might expect, nothing really dramatic ever happened for me - no gold fillings spontaneously appearing in my mouth, or anything like that.  Only things that were probably just coincidences... :)

As a child one time, after months of not having cared for my teeth very well, I had to see the dentist for a check-up.  I was terrified and convinced that I almost certainly must have cavities.  So, my last resorts were: to brush my teeth desperately to try to make up for all the times I had missed; and to desperately pray to God that I had no cavities.

The next day, I went to my appointment - and, to my utter astonishment (and to my dentist's disgust at my abject shock and awe), I had no cavities.

Of course, I knew it probably had nothing to do with my prayers - but it sure seemed sort of miraculous in any case, even if all that happened was that I had just lucked out after having neglected my teeth so much. :)

Then, once, as a teenager, I had to go get some fillings.  I was scared to death as always, so, I prayed to God desperately to help me.  The next day, the receptionist perchance asked if I was nervous, and I explained, yes.  And because of that - at this office which had multiple dentists, the most wonderful dentist I was ever to have decided to take my case.

He was so incredibly gentle and compassionate - and if I recall correctly he had some technique of massaging the gums so the novocaine injection was as painless as possible.  Getting novocaine had always been rather painful on every other occasion - one time it had been so intense, even my Valium stupor wore off, and I was (or at least, felt) wide awake after that throughout the entire process.

But the way he did it, it was just this tiny pinch.  And, after that, it was one of the most nearly pleasant experiences of getting my teeth drilled I ever had, which seemed miraculous in itself.  Makes me wish I still lived in the area, since I'd probably have kept using him as my dentist for the rest of my life.  (I can't believe I forgot his name...)

So, those are my only somewhat notable anecdotes of attempted dental faith healing. :)

These days, with a few dental ailments here and there, of course I continue to desperately beg God to give me a dental healing.  It hasn't worked - yet - but, despite my agnosticism and skepticism, I am going to keep trying... why not. :)

Surely much quicker and easier to just find yourself a decent dentist and take care of your teeth?

Most likely... :)  But if faith healing actually can work, it would definitely be easier by far, and possibly quicker.

I would definitely never rely on faith alone for anything, though.  First of all, who knows if it works in the first place.  Second of all, even if it can work, the healings are obviously very uncommon and unreliable.

I just figure it's harmless to try.  Even more harmless than buying a lottery ticket (since buying lottery tickets wastes money).

It's definitely no substitute for more practical measures, though - just like you can't quit your job just because you bought a lottery ticket. :)

brit said:
Surely much quicker and easier to just find yourself a decent dentist and take care of your teeth?

Not for someone with a real phobia... I can understand why something like, ahem, "dental faith healing" would prove attractive to anyone who experiences abject terror at the thought of someday having to see a dentist.

I'm guilty of it myself, I remember that in my phobia days, I read with interest an article on this topic, and I'm not even vaguely religious :p.

Well, thanks for the replies.

In brief, faith healing hasn't worked for me. At long last, I am forced to see a dentist, by pain. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes. Anyone is welcome to pray for me... :)

LINK to Diana's subsequent Success Story: [out-of-date link removed]

Best of luck with getting it sorted out. :thumbsup:
Remember you did, manage to find a 'virtually painless' one, once as a child - if anything that should be even easier to do in 2006.
Brit

Thanks for the encouragement, it's much appreciated. :)

Personally, I don't put any stock in faith healing.

It's kinda like believing a bull isn't going to charge at you, simply because you're a vegan.

I have a faith that if you resort to this your teeth will fall out. We know the science of Dentistry, the causes and effects. We know the exact bacteria that causes decay and how to stop or repair it. It is my opinion that the dental phobic must be very careful in that there are many that will profit from your fear. Brush, floss, check ups 2x per year, and catch any problems early. Fix the as soo as you Dentist tells you it is needed. Just like any other profession 90% of Dentists are ethical and want nothing but to help, the others want your $.

Thanks everyone. You all were right... :)

Fortunately, it all worked out in the end (though not via faith healing!).

Thanks Brit for adding the link to my success story.

Thanks again, all... :)