• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental filling in 4 hours!

C

CM690

I've taken a cancellation appointment to get 1 of 3 fillings done today. I'm starting to get really really nervous.

Not so much worried about the injection as I am the drilling hurting. Will this hurt or be sensitive or anything? How long does drilling typically take?

You should not feel the drilling at all. If you start to feel anything, you should ask for more anesthetic. Depending on the tooth and decay, the drilling may take 10 min or so...

Is it just a matter of feeling pressure/vibrations? 10 minutes is a lot longer than I was expecting! :O

FearfulinMA is right, you shouldn't feel any of the drilling at all, and if you do, they should too you off with more anesthetic. Just some pressure and vibration. If it's a smaller cavity, it can take less than 10 minutes. Just all depends on the tooth and the decay.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the support. Just got back and it couldn't have gone better!! Didn't feel a thing not even the injection. 1 down two to go!

That's great news!!!! I'm so glad you had a positive experience!

Back