• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Dental Freezing Doesn't Work

W

wrangler66

I went in to have 7 minor fillings done on both upper and lower on one side. I was frozen and everything was seeming to work as usual, my cheek and tongue and lips were all frozen.

As the dentist started to work it was fine, drilling on the surface layer of the tooth was comfortable and I was alright. As soon as she drilled through the first layer of enamel and into the second, it felt very hot and stinging.

This has happened before and since I was only doing one filling previously I just dealt with the pain and had them finish the tooth, this time they finish the upper 3 teeth before I told them to stop and they never got to the worst tooth that has been filled at least twice before and now has a cavity under the old fillings, that is sensitive maybe once a month, since the work was done on the top 3 teeth they are now sensitive which they never were before, maybe once or twice a week.

From what I have read about the freezing not working on this website it seems that I might have a anatomical difference, but if I did would my tongue and cheek etc still freeze? Also the concept of the hot tooth, it was talking about an infection and having to drain the tooth, but the dentist finished the work without mentioning any sort of infection and they are very highly recommended dental clinic.

I have been through a long history of dental work and problems and my father had dentures when he was in his 20's as I am now.

Any help or people who have felt these same symptoms would be greatly appreciated!

S

scared0902

Usually, my lip and cheek will get numb, but my bottom teeth won't. My tongue also never feels numb. My mother has the same numbing issues.

I also metabolize it really quickly and my numbness wears off in about thirty minutes! Hmm. Yet I don't metabolize cake that quickly (different processes, I know). During my last filling, I had nitrous and about three shots but still felt pain.

I had a dentist in the past successfully get me numb using a "different technique." Of course, I didn't ask what it was and now can't really tell my new dentist what to do.

So, I don't really have an answer. I know there are different blocks and things, but I don't know what they are called. Perhaps a dentist will answer! But I do have the same problem, so you aren't alone!

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
There are 3 different types of block for lower teeth. If your dentist doesn't know what they're called, then they also don't know how to give them!
1) "Standard" inferior dental block
2) Gow-Gates dental block
3) Akinosi dental block

W

wrangler66

I did read the section on lower teeth not freezing, unfortunately the 3 teeth she did work on were on the top, I made her stop before she started on the bottom because I was in too much pain and couldn't handle any more.

I'm trying to figure out why none of my teeth are freezing properly.

Thanks for the support though.