• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Dental Hospital cannot figure out whats causing pain in mouth?

T

thorpey

Hi All,
This pain has been going on for about 4 years and the dental hospital cannot get to the bottom of it. I have had every test there is...

Hot cold test, xrays, etc.... they said at the dental hospital that I grind my teeth but have a mouth guard I use every night and moderate gum disease in places. I have them deep cleaned but does not help

The pain is in the lower left hand side and when I press my gum it feels numbish and tingly as well compared with the other side and feel like I cannot taste or smell as I used to. I have had a CT scan on my sinuses and that was fine.

The pain moves about but is always in the same area of the back three teeth and is like a dullish pain that comes and go's but is there about 80% of the day and pain rating about 6 out of 10

Pain killers including gabapentin don't help and am at my wits end what to do.

My dentist has suggested extracting two of them but am reluctant to have it done because for one I'm terrified of injections and what if the problem is not to do with the teeth he extracts?

The dental hospital said it is not an orthodontic issue....

Can someone help please? or offer any advice?

L

leilani

I apologize I have no advise but I have sympathy. It is infuriating that the source of mouth pain cannot be identified. Don't they have infrared scans that can detect inflammation or something (I have no idea what I am talking about). I imagine there must be a machine that can locate inflammation isn't there? I am sorry you are dealing with constant pain. As another person who is also dealing with constant pain, I have sympathy. Much much sympathy. Hopefully there is someone here with some advise for you.
Cheers.

Z

zeezee22

Hi All,
This pain has been going on for about 4 years and the dental hospital cannot get to the bottom of it. I have had every test there is...

Hot cold test, xrays, etc.... they said at the dental hospital that I grind my teeth but have a mouth guard I use every night and moderate gum disease in places. I have them deep cleaned but does not help

The pain is in the lower left hand side and when I press my gum it feels numbish and tingly as well compared with the other side and feel like I cannot taste or smell as I used to. I have had a CT scan on my sinuses and that was fine.

The pain moves about but is always in the same area of the back three teeth and is like a dullish pain that comes and go's but is there about 80% of the day and pain rating about 6 out of 10

Pain killers including gabapentin don't help and am at my wits end what to do.

My dentist has suggested extracting two of them but am reluctant to have it done because for one I'm terrified of injections and what if the problem is not to do with the teeth he extracts?

The dental hospital said it is not an orthodontic issue....

Can someone help please? or offer any advice?
Have you been assessed for TMJ which is the joint and muscles of your jaw bone. Could it be something to do with your bite being off. I know this sort of thing can cause a lot of pain. Have you had an extraction and this has changed your bite. What happened 4 years ago, that might have set it off?

I know of 2 people in your position with very different diagnoses. The first one had bone inflammation around a tooth. The tooth was fine, the gum was fine, but the bone inflammation showed up on CT scan of teeth and a root canal of the tooth settled it all down. This person was on gabapentin and had been for 4 years, until the endodontist did a CT scan of the area around the teeth and found the bone inflammation. The second person had constant pain but nothing showing up. The person was referred to a maxillofacial surgeon who had an interest in muscular pain. He suggested facial massage over several weeks and this settled the pain for this patient.

Try massage with heat or cold around that area which may help as it may be muscular and sometimes this relaxes the facial muscles.

Does the pain come from the teeth or is it the gums and what sort of pain is it? This can often give clues as to what is causing the pain. Dull pain, throbbing pain tends to be nerve pain. Tingly pain can be infection of the gums or nerve pain. Have you got any redness or swelling anywhere? Have you had a CT scan of the teeth as this may show areas of inflammation of the bone, which can also cause pain. If you cannot get to the bottom of it, I would consider having the nerves taken out of the teeth, rather than extraction. It may help.

You cannot go on in pain even if root canals or simple extractions rule out the teeth. At least then you can start to look elsewhere. Keep your hopes up. I have had a few times when diagnosis seemed impossible, but you eventually get there, just don't give up.

C

comfortdentist

Verified dentist
Facial pain can sometimes be very difficult to diagnose. If you looked at an anatomical chart of nerves in the face then you would start to understand the complexity.
If you pain is from teeth then administering a local anesthetic will provide you pain relief for a couple of hours.
Diagnostic nerve blocks are sometimes a useful modality to pinpoint source of pain when the various doctors are unable to diagnose its source.

T

thorpey

Facial pain can sometimes be very difficult to diagnose. If you looked at an anatomical chart of nerves in the face then you would start to understand the complexity.
If you pain is from teeth then administering a local anesthetic will provide you pain relief for a couple of hours.
Diagnostic nerve blocks are sometimes a useful modality to pinpoint source of pain when the various doctors are unable to diagnose its source.
Thank you for your advice Dr Kinsey and everyone else's. I'm going to the dentist today. My lip still feels numb on the same side as the pain on my lip.
I'm wondering if the gum disease is causing the pain?