• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental implant iv sedation fear

S

scared2death29

hi

can any one help me im going to be having all my roots out my mouth and fitted with 12 implants 6 top 6 bottom they have said i have yobhave iv sedation im peyrified of sode affects and petrified of how mich pain ill be in after surgery im one if these peoole who dont like to take pain killers also never ever had sedation worried about bein sick as i am also ohobic about that

PLEASE HELP

Hi. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, I know the fear is terrible. I recently had iv sedation to have a couple of teeth pulled and I worried myself sick for two weeks. I came so close to canceling the day of the appointment! I'm so glad I didn't because it was honestly one of the easiest things ever! Please read my story in the "success stories" section of the site. I posted the entire experience there. I hope it helps to put your mind at ease!

Also, I've been okay just taking Advil after my extractions. I'm not exactly sure of the pain level with implants, but you may could manage with an over the counter pain reliever.

get an anti-nausea drug to also take

On July 17, 2014 I went under general iv sedation to have 25 teeth/roots extracted, aveoplasty and 8 upper and 6 lower implants put in. I, like you was petrified.

I cried when I arrived. It was the fear of the unknown. My surgery lasted 5 hours. I had immediate implants screwed in.

I do not like to take pain killers either but the first 2 days, I had to. By the 3rd day my daughter took me to the nail salon to have my 2 nails redone since I had to leave them without polish for the pulse ox meter.

This is a long process and still have the temps, BUT, this Friday March 6th, I get my permanents! Almost 8 months later and they are incredibly gorgeous!

I think it is completely normal to have a high level of fear. I could not live with the horrible teeth I had. The constant pain, infections, etc. My general health is so much better now not to mention my confidence has soared.

Your new teeth will take some getting used to and a soft diet is required for success. It's not so bad. Friday night will be my first steak in over 8 months. I'm not sure I'm even going to like it! LOL!

So here I am at the end of my journey and not regretting a thing. What I was so scared out of my mind about has turned into one of the best decisions I ever made. I have slight nerve damage from one of the zigomatic implants that is controlled by (of all things) Botox. An added benefit is NO wrinkles!

It is easy for people to tell you to relax. I know you won't, I didn't. I did some soul searching before the surgery through meditation and came to the conclusion had no other option. I am very happy now.

I know what you are going through and you may not have much pain. If you do, the meds are there to help and get you through the first couple of days.

I wish you much success.

awwww thank you so much for your reaponses... i dont think its the procedure im scared of its after stupid things like if my breathing fails under sedation or allergic reaction is the pain unbearable after like worse then tooth ache or is it more a sore feeling???

im so scared im thinking of backing out.

I am not sure whether you are going under general or not. Mine was general and I was intubated so a machine did my breathing. As far as allergic reactions go, the signs are recognized and treatment is started. It's really very safe now, not like years ago.

I am not sure whether you are going under general or not. Mine was general and I was intubated so a machine did my breathing. As far as allergic reactions go, the signs are recognized and treatment is started. It's really very safe now, not like years ago.

no im having sedation so im awake

The worst pain is the first day. I would ask them to re inject some areas with a long lasting anesthesia and take pain medications before you have pain and them stay on them by timing rather than waiting for the pain to return.
As to specific medications it depends on your medical history so I can not advise on that for you but I can say many patients of mine who are healthy would receive IV odansetron during the procedure and a prescription for 2 more quick orally dissolving tabs to prevent nausea afterwards along with oxycodone with acetaminophen to supplement naproxen. For someone who is very sensitive to pain I wouild have them take both the first day through the night then adjust in the morning when I spoke to them. I stay in frequent contact with my patients after procedures.

Remember you are very fortunate that you can have this procedure done and the pain won't last long while the benefits last for many years.

i have my pre op on the 25th of this month so its gettin nearer. also just been told day of surgery not to eat or drink?? why is this

Back