• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Dental implant pain after crown placement :(

K

Ktooth

Hi all! I’ve been on the dental implant journey for just over a year and it’s been fairly smooth until now, and I’m super freaked.

I got an implant placed where molar 18 had been extracted in August 2019. Healed fine with no pain. I got the crown placed about 1.5 weeks ago and pain started up. First it was only when chewing, now it’s when chewing and just a general ache.

Went back to the dentist and he adjusted my bite a few times. Even got a second opinion from another dentist who said everything looked fine. Saw the oral surgeon just over a month ago and he gave me the thumbs up as well.

Called the oral surgeon again and can’t get in for 2 weeks...in the meantime, id love thoughts on what could be going on. Could the implant still be failing even with 3 doctors saying it’s not? I’m at a loss and so disappointed that after all this, I’m back in pain.

M

MountainMama

I am in exactly this same situation! I had my crowns seated on both lower right molars (30 and 31) 2 weeks ago. No issues with 31 but 30 has been hurting with chewing and then aching after. I get occasional sharp pain when chewing, and an irritated feeling around the crown, kind of a general awareness of it at all times.
My dentist checked it yesterday and referred me to the oral surgeon. I can’t get in for 3 weeks! I am terrified it is failing!

K

Ktooth

I am in exactly this same situation! I had my crowns seated on both lower right molars (30 and 31) 2 weeks ago. No issues with 31 but 30 has been hurting with chewing and then aching after. I get occasional sharp pain when chewing, and an irritated feeling around the crown, kind of a general awareness of it at all times.
My dentist checked it yesterday and referred me to the oral surgeon. I can’t get in for 3 weeks! I am terrified it is failing!
Oh no! Not you, too :( I thought we were both out of the woods! I’m terrified mine’s failing, too! And the dentists haven’t had much to say so I really, really hope the oral surgeon knows what’s going on. My appointment’s on the 25th so I guess I’m on a diet of Tylenol and soft foods until then. Sending good vibes your way! Let me know what you find out!

M

MountainMama

Oh no! Not you, too :( I thought we were both out of the woods! I’m terrified mine’s failing, too! And the dentists haven’t had much to say so I really, really hope the oral surgeon knows what’s going on. My appointment’s on the 25th so I guess I’m on a diet of Tylenol and soft foods until then. Sending good vibes your way! Let me know what you find out!
Yup. I am so scared as to what this means, especially because I am getting a crown prep for a lower molar on the opposite side next month. If it fails and I get an implant there, I will worry about it failing as well. I always thought implants were the backup as they had such a low failure rate.
I am calling my surgeon’s office daily to check for cancellations.