• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Implant Question

M

mi26

Are titanium dental implants safe in the body long-term? This is something that worries me before getting the procedure done...

Also, if I'm 30 can I expect a dental implant to last a lifetime?

Medical grade titanium is used in quite a few applications including dental implants. These types of implants have been used for many many years without problem. There haven't been any reputable scientific studies to date showing any type of harm associated with them.

We don't have enough long term data to know if implants will actually last a lifetime (they've really only been in use for about 40 years). We do know that if you take good care of them they have the potential to last a lot longer on average than the alternatives such as a bridge or partial denture. Dental implants do fail occasionally but a lot of this is based on your specific situation (location, bone type, smoking, teeth grinding, certain health problems, flossing, etc).

Hope this helps!

Back