• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Implant Surgery

S

ScaredyGirl

:scared:

I'm having dental implant surgery in TWO DAYS and am scared to death!!

I have four loose bottom front teeth which are being removed and implants placed immediately. My appointment is scheduled for two hours. I'm going to be fully awake for the whole thing (Novacaine only) and that alone scares the heck out of me! I'm taking my iPod with me so I don't have to hear any horrible noises, which will just totally freak me out! I know what the periodontist told me about the procedure and also what my general dentist told me about the procedure, but I want to know what I can honestly and realistically expect! How miserable should I expect to be post-surgery? What can I expect in general following this initial procedure? I was advised that the entire procedure should take about six months, start to finish, with the crowns being attached sometime in January or February. Any advice, suggestions, words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

I haven't had this done myself you understand, so it's kind of hearsay... anyway, patients who've had it done say that it's not too bad. There's a bit of pressure, a bit of vibration and a lot of guddling about, but they say that it's not as bad as a regular filling for instance.

Post surgery is usually OK, but given the amount of money you'll be paying for this, I rather expect your surgeon to go over this in some detail for you.