• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Implant vs Flexible Partial Denture?

AngelCatMei

AngelCatMei

Hi all,

I've scheduled an appointment with my dentist for CT Scan and guided implant planning in a few weeks time and in about a month or so, I'll be able to get the implant in.

I've been missing my lower right first molar since about 2 years plus ago? After a failed root canal, I've gotten it extracted out. I should be getting an implant in sooner but I pull out of plan despite already getting an consult and CT scan done 1 year plus ago.

I went for my regular cleaning last month and took a full mouth xray as a routine and my dentist urge me to get an implant soon as my lower left second molar is slowly shifting forward to the empty space.

I've my own fear about implant as I saw some blog about how some people gotten a bone infection after getting the implant and they got to remove the implant. I'm afraid that my body will reject the implant as I'm quite sensitive to it. I think that's the reason why my root canal failed (I've another root canal in my upper right first molar now and it just never felt right since the treatment).

I texted another clinic asking if they do flexible denture for just one tooth. They said they it's doable but they don't recommend it as mucb as implant, especially for cases where patient is already losing lots of bone. My current dentist don't wish to do denture for me despite my asking multiple time. The reason is because I'm still young so they're constantly pushing for implant. Tbh I couldn't even afford an implant, hence, I left that gap for years till now. I even got a loan from the bank for this implant, so I don't wish for it to fail :(

I looked at my xray and saw that there's like shadow on the jawbone at where my missing tooth was once at. Will any of you be able to advise me what's the shadow at the x-ray means?

Thank you 😊

Attachments

•  (ANGEL)_18062022.jpg
    (ANGEL)_18062022.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 11
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I would strongly advise against getting a denture for 1 lower molar, it will be very difficult to wear and will do more harm than good. (I would probably not bother getting an implant either, being one molar short is not a big deal).
The shadow area is where the bone still hasn't fully filled in to replace the tooth yet, it takes a long time to fully regrow.

M

MountainMama

If you do decide to get the implant, I can tell you that it doesn’t mean it will fail if your root canal failed. I have a metal allergy and was very worried about implants. My root canals failed but my implants have done great.
I also have a missing molar, although mine is the upper 2nd molar. I never had it replaced.

N

NervousUSA

This is really interesting, AngelCatMei, is your dentist telling you it is not an option to just not replace the tooth? I may be in a similar situation to you, I am right now gearing up for an implant that I didn't want, after being told by two dentists that it would be disasterous not to replace my missing molar, and pretty much not an option, my other teeth would tilt, super-erupt, be lost, etc, and that I must have an implant, bridge, or partial denture/flipper. I wanted to just not replace. MountainMama does your dentist pressure you to replace your missing molar? I am so confused seeing Gordon, a dentist, say it is ok not to replace a missing molar, and ok not to have an implant or denture after what I have been hearing. I wonder if this is differences between the USA, UK, and Singapore or what is going on here?

Last edited:
M

MountainMama

This is really interesting, AngelCatMei, is your dentist telling you it is not an option to just not replace the tooth? I may be in a similar situation to you, I am right now gearing up for an implant that I didn't want, after being told by two dentists that it would be disasterous not to replace my missing molar, and pretty much not an option, my other teeth would tilt, super-erupt, be lost, etc, and that I must have an implant, bridge, or partial denture/flipper. I wanted to just not replace. MountainMama does your dentist pressure you to replace your missing molar? I am so confused seeing Gordon, a dentist, say it is ok not to replace a missing molar, and ok not to have an implant or denture after what I have been hearing. I wonder if this is differences between the USA, UK, and Singapore or what is going on here?
My oral surgeon told me that it depends on the tooth and the person’s preference. He said he did not recommend replacing an upper second molar, as the lower opposing molar is less likely to super-erupt. He also said that first molars are the most used molars as far as chewing forces and he recommended replacing them, but he didn’t push implants. He said a lot of times a bridge would work, but that implants are more successful long term. He did say that with first molars being gone, the second molars are more likely to shift forward. I think each individual person probably has different situations as well.

AngelCatMei

AngelCatMei

@NervousUSA

Hi, my dentist did told me it's not an option to replace the lower first left molar with a partial denture and provided that I'm just 26 years old, so she says implant is the only way to go. She says that the lower second molar is starting to tlit forward, so it's better if I can get the implant soon.

I went to enquire about another clinic to see if it is possible for one tooth flexible denture. The clinic that I enquired mentioned that it's doable but not as recommended as implant, and especially for cases whereby the patient is already losing lots of bone.

I'm very confuse too :( like, it's not that I didn't want implant. I'm just really afraid of the complications and what if my body rejects the implant? There's lots of what if.

When is your surgery? Mine should be around mid September.

N

NervousUSA

@AngelCatMei I have had that experience with different dentists saying different things too, it's so stressful and confusing. BTW my missing tooth is front lower left molar like yours. The first dentist I saw about this in my early 30s wanted me to have a bridge, partial denture, or implant, and thought all were good options, but implant was best. This was basically the opinion of my second dentist too, though she was more against the denture and very agressive about an implant. Neither was very willing to remove my tooth and not replace it. My current (3rd) dentist said that the partial denture would be bad because it would be so small I might aspirate it and I just wouldn't wear it, and implant was what he would do if he were me (I am around 40 now). We didn't even discuss bridges, that is the treatment that has always seemed the worst option to me, because of grinding healthy teeth down, or removal without replacement. I've also been very confused about why it is not ok for me not to replace my tooth, but it seems to be fine for lots of people

I am really scared of things going wrong too, like infection, rejection, allergies, nerve damage, etc. I am also dealing with a drug and anesthesia phobia with worries about that going wrong, having to talk about drugs, being offered drugs, etc. I have been trying to comfort myself by saying I must go on statistics, not my emotions, and success of dental implants is 95% but I still am scared, it has been a cold comfort. One thing that has made me feel better is that my current dentist showed me a broken implant he had removed from someone, I felt a little better thinking if something goes wrong at least it can be removed and maybe I could at least get back where I was, where I am now.

At my planning appointment the dentist had me in a treatment room and I heard him whispering outside the door with his assistant by the cat scanner/cone beam machine and I just heard the words "implant" and "there's so little bone" and I have been haunted by that, I was afraid to ask if they were talking about me...

My surgery is late August. I hope everything goes really well for you for yours!!! I think your young age is probably an advantage for you with this treatment with things like healing and resisting infection.

Last edited:
AngelCatMei

AngelCatMei

@NervousUSA hope that your surgery goes well! Anyway, just an update that I've decided to get a flexible single tooth denture instead of implant :) I'm really nervous about complications and I think if I'm gonna lose more teeth in the future due to whatever causes, I don't think I'll be able to afford implant for every single tooth. Hence, I decided to get a denture instead. I already went for the denture wax try in and will be getting the denture next week or so. It's really tiny and the new dentist I went to told me that it'll not help much with chewing but it does help to prevent the tooth behind from shifting more. She told me to eat slowly during the initial stage if I'm afraid of it slipping out and swallowing it. I bought some denture adhesive as well for in case.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Please please please make absolutely certain that you remove this denture when you go to bed at night, every time. They don't show up on x-rays and if you manage to inhale it the consequences are severe.

N

NervousUSA

@AngelCatMei Thanks! So far so good. The surgery itself was painless and not too bad, I needed 3 doses tylenol yesterday, and am not in pain today, and I don't think I will get an infection since I am on a huge quantity of antibiotics for the next 10 days. If you are still curious at all about implants, I can keep you updated if I have any complications. I hope the partial denture option goes well for you, I had seriously considered it myself until I learned it could damage or wear your other teeth, and I came to believe it was more likely to damage other teeth than the implant, and about the aspiration issue (my dentist told me it would be okay to swallow it but deadly to inhale/aspirate it), and I had also seriously considered no replacement (many people I know including both my parents are missing molars and have no side effects they have an issue with). The financial issue with impants is really serious too. I hope all goes great for you though, and please update what the partial denture is like once you have, if you feel like doing that.

AngelCatMei

AngelCatMei

@NervousUSA

Hi, I just gotten my one tooth partial denture and I hate it :/ it's comfortable but idk, it just doesn't feel safe to have something in my mouth and I'm constantly worrying that I'll swallow it when I'm eating. I took it out when I'm eating and that kinda of defeat the purposes of it.

N

NervousUSA

@AngelCatMei Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear that! My dentist did say that it would be unsafe when it comes to aspiration/inhaling but he wasn't so worried about swallowing it. He also said I wouldn't want to wear it, maybe he said that becuase a lot of people don't find them comfortable, I don't know. Please be careful about that inhaling. Maybe you will get more used to it, hopefully?