• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Implants

C

chuckychucks

I am gonna get straight to the point, my mouth is a mess, a lot of my back teeth are missing and now the front are starting to go, not through any medical condition but just pure neglect..i remember my father always telling me 'look after your teeth, brush them twice daily at least and after meals if you can..did i listen..umm no...duhh.

Now i'm in my late 40's and i'm suffering with pain, confidence and self esteem, eating things is a challenge and i work in a customer facing job which makes me lack confidence and feel depressed.

To add to this i am petrified of all things dental, the times i have been I've literally been hyperventilating in the waiting room, one time being physically sick..I've been through major foot surgery and found this experience easier than the dentist, I've been asked to leave by three dentists, one particular dentist started the IV sedation procedure and then seconds later started to work on me before the midazolam had taken effect which made me freak out, he started shouting at me and told me to leave..i stumbled off the chair as he watched whilst his assistant was pushing me out the surgery door with my wife, i felt like reporting him but never did.

Now my front teeth are getting that bad that i have decided that i have to go see a dentist, which brings me to my reason for posting, i have been researching Implants 'all on 4 & all on 6' there is so much info out there which is confusing, different types of bridges like Petteau or Hybrid, then there is Zygomatic implants which i believe are good for people with major bone loss, which i'm sure i will fit into that bracket ..then there is choosing a dentist, i know most have implant experience these days but you here so much about some dentists having much more knowledge and experience.

I was checking out a website called new life teeth and the costs are really frightening, for example : All on 4 (or 6) Zygomatic implant bridge using a Petteau bridge costs £20,000...can someone tell me is that about right or over priced??

Sorry to ramble on and on with my first post, but i'm getting pretty desperate, like i said it's affecting my self esteem, work and my marriage..i need to do something :(

I'm in USA so 20k pounds for an arch sounds fine. The first question is that what you really need now?
Many many times people get what the person does. Most people get comfortable doing what they do and how so they always go to their first choice because it is easier for them. I'm not saying it's not for you as I don't know. There is no going back and implants aren't without their problems.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I feel that my options are limited, that being said i still have to actually get myself to a dentist which is a huge challenge, i have in my mind narrowed it down to two going by reviews and recommendations, just have to pick up the courage now.

I did go to my local school of dentistry a few years ago who where very concerned about how bad my mouth was, they kept mentioning some sort of infection that could be life threatening, i can't remember the name of it because there was about 5 people around me but they offered to clean up and remove teeth under sedation using propofol, they even made a point of begging my wife to make sure i attended but i have avoided going back and they are still sending me letters to this day with appointments.

I know i wouldn't tolerate dentures and i don't like the idea of a bridge (removable or fixed) so i was thinking that implants where my only choice, but now i don't know what to think :( when you say not without problems can you explain what you mean? Are you talking about things like peri implantitis?

Thanks for any advice.

I had an implant done as a kid. No issues but they are expensive. you may want to go with dentures. Dentists these days are very professional. My first time going to a dentist I was so scared I found a sedation dentist and I had him put me down with IV sedation to take out my wisdom tooth.

I had an implant done as a kid. No issues but they are expensive. you may want to go with dentures. Dentists these days are very professional. My first time going to a dentist I was so scared I found a sedation dentist and I had him put me down with IV sedation to take out my wisdom tooth.

Thanks for the reply.

Oh i really don't think i could tolerate dentures, the fear of them falling out when speaking to someone or when eating, then there's the fact that they are not meant to be very comfortable and have to be replaced every few years and i'm not good with the thought of having to take them out and put them in, i think they would make me gag, psychologically i think they could have a detrimental effect on my mental health, so it's looking more and more likely that i will have to suck it up and pay the extortionate amount of money that is required for implants :(

Thanks for the reply.Oh i really don't think i could tolerate dentures, the fear of them falling out when speaking to someone or when eating, then there's the fact that they are not meant to be very comfortable and have to be replaced every few years and i'm not good with the thought of having to take them out and put them in, i think they would make me gag, psychologically i think they could have a detrimental effect on my mental health, so it's looking more and more likely that i will have to suck it up and pay the extortionate amount of money that is required for implants :(
Snap that's exactly why I'm going the implant route,family members clearly don't get why I just didn't go for the "normal" route (I would have been finished a long time ago) but I'm under 40 and I'm the one having to put up with it.

Back