• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental infection

A

Askingquestion

I was diagnosed with a dental infection in one of my teeth around a year ago, but it was likely there before. The dentist said it was a rather "big" infection and showed me the x-ray where there was a dark shadow near the tooth. Although that didn't mean much to me.

The dentist said that I would require a root canal on that tooth sooner or later. However, he did some tests and I felt a sensation on the tooth. The dentist was surprised of this because he thought the tooth wouldn't due to the infection. Their advise was to monitor it and come back every 6-12 months to check it again.

I'm now due an appointment which has been cancelled due to the pandemic and in absolutely scared that this infection could spread to other teeth and result in them needed treatment.

I believe it's a root canal infection due to my gums being 0s and in good overall shape. I get a slight burning feeling on my gums near this tooth now though.

My question is what's the likelihood of this spreading to other teeth in my mouth?

Absolutely no chance, dental infections don't work like that.

My periodontist referred me to an endodontist (just prior to pandemic shutdown) because he saw what looked like an infection on my x-ray. At that point, I didn't feel any discomfort and the tooth was not loose. Over the course of the shutdown, things did get worse and the tooth loosened. Once things started to open up (pandemically speaking) I got the root canal done. Endodontist said the longevity of the tooth was iffy, but it looked good inside. Six weeks or so after the root canal, the tooth tightened up, wow. I still had the infection draining around the gum line when I pushed on it with a q-tip so I kept working at it with baking soda (it's not toxic so I figured worth a try). Evidently, antibiotics don't do much and can't get at these infections very well. I'm super happy with the endodontist. Going to the periodontist next week for cleaning, then dentist for restoration after root canal.

@Gordon so if someone (me) has a minor infection currently that has been there god knows how long and the antibiotic they put me on is making me sick (this is the second round in 3 weeks the first was for an unrelated sinus infection) can I stop taking them the extraction is Tuesday. The dentist asked if I wanted antibiotics she didn’t initially say they were necessary.

What antibiotic is it? How long have you been taking them for?
From a dental POV there's likely not a problem stopping them, but from a more Public Health POV stopping them too soon can help create a bigger risk of antibiotic resistant bacteria in the future...

@Gordon It’s azithromycin I only took the loading dose.

OK, just stop then.

Back