• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental issues as triggers

K

krystal

Hey all,
do any of you struggle with dental issues acting as triggers? This includes triggers such as PTSD or maybe dental pain/issues make you want to drink or do something to put your mind into a state of pain-denial or treatment-denial?

I'm asking because right now I'm on antibiotics and am feverish from an infection in my jaw.

But even thinking about teeth or dentists triggers a huge amount of fear in me and it makes me wish I could just slip back into denial that anything is wrong with my mouth and that I don't need any treatment after all.

I just want this problem to just POOF go away. I don't know if I can manage my emotions, my fear and anxiety are so strong.

Hi if you have a dentist you trust and that understands your fears you can get the treatment you need. I was a trembling wreck earlier this year as I usually was when seeing the dentist but with the understanding and patient treatment by two or three dentists I have had to see I have had the treatment I needed and a lot of my fear has gone. I no longer suffer panic attacks when there or tremble or feel terrible, I will always feel a bit nervous but I am quite comfortable going now.

Good luck with your treatment and I hope you get to a place when you don't feel so afraid. :butterfly:

My whole life is a dental issue, lol. I put off getting work done til the very last second. If it doesn't hurt, I don't go! I live in fear up until the appointment and then think of every excuse in the book to bolt. Stupid part is, is that I KNOW I'm going to be fine and that the victorious feeling I get after going through with it, is worth it but, that dental demon won't let me relax and think rationally. I just want my dental woes to miraculously disappear too. I have to get an extraction next week and I can think of a jillion different things I'd RATHER be doing, instead of an appointment that's going to be over in the blink of an eye. Horrible.

Back