• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Payment

hi scared

well done for making the appointment!! :jump:

the cost is always a huge worry, but if i am not mistaken, you say you are a pensioner? doesnt that entitle you to free dentistry on the NHS? or at the very least reduced price? maybe you should investigate that

good luck!

Rosie

Thx Rosie, but I live in Wales, absolutely impossible to get NHS and even then to get one that uses sedation,so I plumped for London, where at least I can get a friend to come along and hold my hand.
Scaredstiff :scared:

scared,

have you tried going to your Gp for a referal to a community dental service?? they treat phobic patients, as well as other special needs groups, and they offer sedation as well, these are NHS services.

i was lucky enough to get an NHS dentist in my area( scotland), but he doesnt do any form of sedation at his practise, after meeting me at first appointment( yesterday!), and i had some oral sedation provided by my GP before hand, he recommended i have treatment under sedation due to how anxious i was even with the oral sedation, and i am being refered to community dental services now, who will treat me with sedation.

in saying that, i have seen a really good recommendation for the dentist you are seeing in London as well, but again, cost does matter.

let us know what you decide and how you get on

Rosie :thumbsup:

Thanks Rosey
Tried GP, but GPs around here are hopeless, unless you're on the point of death. Had to invent something to get to see her and then bring up the question of dentists. He reply: Why don't you look at Yellow Pages! I have spoken to local dentists, but haven't felt comfortable about speaking with any, let alone seeing, having an examination and then being referred. Spoke with some of the clinics direct but they will only take referrals, so although going private is going to cost and somehow I will have to find the money, I am feeling 'comfortable' if that's an appropriate word with having spoken with Jenny Pinder. If they are agreeable, I'll have a little by little done as I get the money. Thx again for your posting.
Scaredstiff