• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental plaque removal, my nightmare

S

salemthecat

Is there anything that make this procedure have less pain and more comfortable? I've just had a plaque removal this monday, it's very terrible, very very pain and lost a lot of blood and it kept going on about half an hour. The sound is very ..., don't know what to say. . I don't think I can go to the dentists from now on. :scared:

Yes...change the dentist/hygienist to one who will do it gently and/or use some numbing gels or even local anaesthetic.
Have been on the receiving end of such treatment myself a while back and if it were to happen again, I'd stop them. Do not give up...it does not have to be uncomfortable. It depends on who is doing it.

Just by going elsewhere I now have this done without anaesthetic and find it comfortable.

If by the noise you are referring to the buzzy ultrasonic scaler...they can just do it with the hand tools if you prefer but again if the person does it gently, the ultrasonic way is comfortable too...some people prefer it...the water effect is quite pleasant I suppose. I usually have a mix of both.

I just had my first one done yesterday and they numbed me up, i did not feel thing. Can you request that?

Thank you very much! But I still wonder if there are other devices that can do the same thing without such pain. Now I'm afraid of seeing that machine again. You know, I can only chew in 2 days after that terrible day.

They don't have to use the ultrasonic scaler...., ask if they can just use the hand tools (which I agree seem far less threatening as they are silent) but like I said it just depends how gentle they are with either. It's who does it, not what they use which makes the difference. The thing to do is agree a stop signal so if you are uncomfortable you can easily let them know.

You need to change your dentist/hygienist if you don't think they are capable of giving you a more pleasant experience...did you communicate your problem? Do you think they knew you were unhappy at the time but didn't much care?
I sent an email saying I'd just had a very rough clean elsewhere and could they do any better (more gently) as I had never experienced such before. I got a favourable response and haven't had a problem since.

The thing is though if you are in the USA it is totally common to have numbing gels/ local anaesthetic for cleaning. If it is a deep cleaning (under the gum line) then I'm sure personally I would want LA as based on past experiences I just expect dental procedures to be painfree.
Some people breathe in nitrous oxide for cleanings to relax them but personally I would say best just find someone who can be bothered to do it gently.

Also if you brush and floss regularly from now on, it may the case that your teeth will always be easier and quicker to clean in future.