• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental records

L

Lostris

Does anyone know how long a uk dentist would keep a patients records for? and is if they still have them is it possible to see them?

I ask because i am interested to know which teeth my dentist 14/15 years ago said needed filling (I refused treatment:redface:) so that i can compare it with the teeth i am currently having filled. I have great suspisions that he had overtreated me and was trying to again and would like to be able to put my mind at rest.

Im guessing they must be about somewhere. Only because (and i hate to sound so morbid) they can use them to identify bodies. Sorry i don't know the answer but i'll be interested to find out.

Wouldnt it be interesting if the good folk on CSI and such were confronted with a dental phobic to identify! Bet that would annoy them!

I think the current regs are that the records are held until 7 years after the patient reaches 18. You can do the maths yourself. It's possible that the dentist in question held onto them for longer, you'll never know unless you ask.

Thanks Gordon,

guess im about 4 years too late then :oops:. Will see if i can get my dad to ask them, hes still a patient there. I cant face it at the moment, too many bad memories :hidesbehindsofa:

They should still have mine then! Although they recently went from NHS to private and lost my mums records in the upheaval so im not holding my breath.

Back