• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dental robot as a teaching tool

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi All!

I stumbled on this link on youtube. Apparently there is a dental school utilizing a patient simulator that reacts to any discomfort during treatment to improve dentist/patient communication skills and to teach dentist's to be aware of and responsive to the patient's comfort level. Probably far too expensive for most dental schools around the world to realistically afford to utilize but still a cool idea. Check it out if you're interested. It's nice to see that this issue with appropriate bedside/chairside manner, is a real priority in some programs. WARNING: this video contains footage of dental students performing dental procedures on the robot which appears very human-like and may be upsetting to some audiences. Please view with caution.

I think that is really creepy, but interesting...

I wonder just how sensitive the robot's teeth actually are.

I really wanted to watch this but couldn't, I don't know what the drill or anything looks like and I don't want to. I think a robot is a very good idea and I hope they set the sensitivity to high to allow for the worse case of phobia.

If they can get to grips with the worse case then they can deal with anybody with care and compassion also hopefully they will recognise the signs.

A very good link and I am sure very interesting, I just wish I could have watched it.

Isn't it funny, how different we all are..........I wish there was a mirror at my mouth during all work done as I'd like to see everything going on. There again, my dental phobia is about medications in essence, so maybe not so surprising. My head is never still in the dentists' chair as I am turning round to see what he is picking up and what he and the nurse are doing.

Wow! looks like a good training tool, almost like the real thing. I'm sure it can be useful, but the students still need quality instruction. It doesn't automatically make better dentists.

It was scarily realistic, though. There is another video showing someone from the company that makes it demonstrate its gag reflex, and I was thinking, "Oh NO! Poor girl! How can he do that to her?". It's very easy to empatize with it even though it's just a machine.