• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dental treatment - have MS and take steroids

B

bec001

i visited my dentist last week and he told me i need 2 of my wisdom teeth out.

ive never had fillings or teeth out, so not  sure of the process.

ive had ms for the last 4 years, and one month ago had steriod oral treatment for a relapse ( methylprednisolone, 100mg x5 for 5 days) does the dentist have to know?  
will any drugs he gives me for the procedure affect me or my condition,  would the steriods i took affect anything? any side effects?

thank you
becs

Re: advice please

As for the process, first they will take you back to the room, Depending on what type of sedation you get whether it be laughing gas , valium or Geting IV sedation. After they give you that they will give you the xxxx anesthetic. Then, they will wait 2-3 minutes to wait for the numbness to set in. They will pull the teeth and your done! :cheers:

best of wishes
-mikey

Some people get their wisdom teeth removed with just local anaesthetic. Your dentist should be able to advise what's best in your case depending on how surgically easy it is likely to be. If they are impacted or otherwise complex, you could be referred to an Oral Surgeon instead. Each case should be treated on its merits.

If you are very anxious, then you can also add various sedation options such as nitrous, oral medication to relax you e.g. valium etc etc, i/v sedation or even in some cases full general anaesthetic (Hospital only in UK).

The horror stories people will insist on sharing with you,  will always be worse than the reality but  I readily confess to opting to have mine done in hospital with GA which actually was a common method back then.

Thesedays having teeth extracted should be painless and in my case even the discomfort afterwards was minimal.

Most people say it will be extrememly painful but getting teeth pulled, the only pain you will feel is if the dentist doesent leave the numbing gel for the injection on long enough, or the needle going in for IV sedation. But those arent really painful just discomfortable. :grouphug: so it will be fine.
I get all my extracitons done with IV sedation once they put the needle in then bam, you wake up with alot of gauze in your mouth!

-mikey

Make sure you do let the dentist know that you have multiple sclerosis and the medications you are on and have been taking. I think that larger doses or doses over a long term could be a concern for the dentist.

Your dentist might want to check with your physician to advise them of the extractions and consult with them as to whether any loading dose of corticosteroids might be required before treatment. They might suggest antibiotics after the extractions to help prevent infection.

thank you for all your replys.

if i was to need the iv sedation, does anyone know if this will have a bad effect on me?

After i/v sedation you would need to be accompanied home and have a responsible person stay with you for several hours. After nitrous, you are ok again immediately. After valium etc you would ideally have someone with you until it's completely out of your system.

Back