• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental treatment soon after approx. 10 years

Been feeling very down about the state I let my teeth get in. The fact that I’m losing a tooth at all at 28 that isn’t a wisdom tooth really hurts. I hope I can get an implant and it will last til I’m real old. I’m going to start a tooth fund once my loan is paid off, just in case I end up needing more work and/or implants done the road.

If I don’t use it, I’ll donate it or go on a cool vacation when I’m old ?

I really just want to stabilize my teeth. I’m willing to give up sugar pretty much entirely, except on special social occasions a few times a year. No more soda or candy. Limited carbs. Eating healthy, whole foods. I’m happy to do this. I know my whole body will thank me and I actually enjoy eating healthy now that I’m older. I’m getting into a very consistent oral hygiene regimen but I worry it’s too late for me and losing more teeth is inevitable. I hope not.

This dentist wasn’t super thorough in his exam and didn’t mention anything about my gum health…all I got was my pocket numbers that the hygienist said were okay. Nothing about the state of my bone either. These are the two things I’m most freaked out about tonight. Tomorrow it’ll be something else I’m sure!

I can’t wait to have a full exam with the other dentist I found, but it won’t be til January 12. My front tooth with the bad cavity is bothering me a bit, so I think I’m going to call the new dentist on Monday and see if they can get me in to look at it. Dentist #1 said just a filling…but he’s not a great dentist so I don’t know if I trust that. I’d love to get it fixed before my extractions either way and I don’t want Dentist #1 to do it if I can help it. Praying it isn’t a root canal. Will also be trying to get into the oral surgeon next week to talk implant possibility so I can get bone graft at time of extraction if possible.

I’m really hoping I can stabilize my mouth, bones, gums, and have a successful implant. I don’t want to obsess anymore. I don’t even care what my teeth look like anymore! If they’re straight or gapped or whatever. I just want healthy teeth and jaw structure without noticeable bone shrinkage when I’m still 15 years from even middle age!

Last edited:
Anyone else crying on thanksgiving about the state of their teeth? Just me?

I don’t know how to deal with this. I was insecure about the gap in my front teeth as a child but I would kill to have those teeth back instead of what I have now. I think I will worry about this every day for the rest of my life

I decided to email my new dentist and let them know about my dental anxiety (Dentist #2) I am too embarrassed to say it on the phone so I hope someone reads the email and responds. Will be calling oral surgeon when they’re open to figure out if I can get an implant as well.

And my dentist #1 said my opposite tooth is already pushing out a bit due to not having a “partner” so I’ll need to see if orthodontics can fix that or if it’s too late.

I’m really worried I’ll never feel okay about my teeth again. I’m only 28. I always brushed and took care of my teeth at home. Used mouthwash and flossed more often than not. Not going to the dentist for 10 years and eating sugar is my downfall.

The worst thing is I know plenty of people who have way worse diets than I do and need way less work. In my own family. They’re not obsessive over dental care either. I’m happy for everyone on here who went to the dentist after 10,20,30 years and only needed a few fillings. I don’t know why I am so unlucky.

I would rather be dead than have dentures before 70. I can handle one or two implants before then if a second root canal fails. But I truly feel like I will not want to live any longer if it’s more than that. I have a terrible gag reflex so I don’t believe dentures would even work in my mouth. I obsess over this every day. I may see a therapist to try to help me emotionally but that can’t help the uncomfortable feeling in my mouth due to these new fillings.

I’m fairly cute and my teeth look ok at first glance, but they’re garbage and I’m looking at a lifetime of suffering

I hope I will find some relief with this second dentist but I’m so worried about all of my bottom molars. The fillings do not feel right. If I need my root canals on these anytime in the next 5 years I might crack under the anxiety

If I can make it another 30 years without needing another tooth removed I would count that as a victory. But I feel like the teeth with fillings and my new root canal are a ticking time bomb that could fail at any moment

Last edited:
Also, I’m feeling super embarrassed about the email I sent to Dentist #2 on thanksgiving. They will read it tomorrow and probably think I’m a nutcase

no email from Dentist #2 today. I’ve kind of accepted my fate a little bit. I can handle the one tooth loss. Maybe get an implant. I’m okay with that.

When more molars start failing, if they need to be extracted before 60 something…I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. My molars have big fillings and I’m only 28, so I’m sure it’s just a matter of time.

I really don’t know why this has happened to me. I have never smoked, never done drugs, I don’t drink. I occasionally have dessert. I’d drink one pop a day and NOT sip on it all day. Just at meal time. That was enough to ruin my teeth for my whole life.

I guess at this point it’s just living my life best I can before it all falls apart

Everyone I talk to says I’m being crazy but the fear and anxiety about this is ruining my life. I found an empty conference room at work to cry in today.

I’m going to try to talk to a therapist but I know if I have to lose more teeth before I enter my senior years, I won’t make it to my senior years.

I have a dog I love more than anything in the world so I will be here for her but emotionally there isn’t anything else for me once she eventually passes, if more teeth fail. I can’t even blame poverty. My family is middle class, leaning upper middle class. I think I have the worst teeth out of my whole family

By the way I hope that nobody who reads this who has had their teeth removed feels bad. I don’t think poorly of anyone who has had that. I admire your bravery.

I just know I’m not emotionally strong enough

I cried to my mom on the phone today. She’s very worried about me because I’m not eating due to fear and anxiety of losing my teeth at a young age.

I’m going to call Dentist #2 tomorrow and beg them to see me sooner than January. I want to talk to them about who they suggest to do implant anyway, so I would be willing to reschedule extractions to January if they think I would be okay to wait and get my other work done first. They booked me for January because of the extractions. I don’t think I can wait that long or I’m gonna lose ten lbs and be underweight ? I’ve already dropped 5.

Well, Dentist #2 called me today about my email. They are getting me in at 2:00 pm tomorrow in their 2nd office. It’s a family practice but they have two offices. All in the same family dentists which I like. There’s a good chance the dentist looking at my teeth tomorrow will be the one I went to high school with so I hope he doesn’t remember me! We weren’t friends but he was friends with some of my friends.

I’m going to lay out all my fears on the line for them. Let myself cry if I need to. And ask for a referral for an implant. I’m not sure that the oral surgeon I found on google is the best for an implant. This is a very experienced and established dentist so I trust their judgment on referrals (if they’re nice to me tomorrow lol)

If I need to push out my surgery date, I will. My mom took the day off to take me but the most important thing is that it is done right by the right person. I cried on the phone with her last night so I know she won’t mind if it comes to that.

They will look at my fillings I just had done as well and tell me how quality they are. I’m gonna straight up tell them I’m worried about losing all my molars by 50. I hope they give me a honest answer. I’ve already overhauled my diet so I’ll be doing all I can to not give the bacteria the sugar they crave. The other thing is my other dentist never said anything about the weird bump under the tooth that needs extraction. It didn’t show up on the x rays they took and I was too stressed to remember to ask. I will tomorrow so that’s one less thing to catastrophize about. With my luck it’s cancer though or something eating away at the bone that will make implant impossible.

Not sure anyone is reading this anymore, but it is therapeutic to write it all down. I joined an online therapy thing last night since I found myself thinking “if I lose more than 2 teeth (root canal teeth) before 50, I’ll just kill myself once my dog passes” which is not good thinking. I have a virtual appointment at 10:00 am tomorrow so before my dentist appointment.

I haven’t asked my work yet if I can go to the dentist, but my boss has noticed my anxiety and he’s super great so I’m sure it won’t be an issue even though we have a few people out right now on surgery leave.

I will update after my appointment tomorrow. I hope it is a good update. I hope this time next year I will be happy and healthy and still cute lol

really struggling not to hate myself. If this new root canal fails anytime in the next ten years and can’t be retreated, I will crumble I think.

I’ve done a few stupid things in my life but not becoming obsessive about dental care ten years ago after my first root canal, is my biggest regret. I give teenage me a pass for even needing the root canal, but I shouldn’t have let this happen. Will the time and effort I put in now even matter in ten more years? Or will I be 40 with more teeth gone as it’s inevitable now with these fillings that they will eventually fail. Fillings in 9 teeth, dentist #1 told me. If dentist #2 finds more than that I’m not sure how I will handle it.

Shaking and freaking out today. I wouldn’t be so worried if I didn’t already have to lose one tooth. Now I’m losing my mind since I had to have another root canal and if that one fails too I will be so upset :( I will get implants to replace them as long as I can, but I know implants don’t last forever. But maybe the tech will improve in the future and there will be another solution for me if/when it fails. Idk. I’d love to not think about my teeth for a day. I spent the last ten years barely worrying about it and now it’s all I think about.

I’m going to let the dentist know my fears of losing my teeth and see what he says.

My poor mother is trying to make me feel better by saying she had has bad teeth too with cavities etc and so did her mother, but that’s not helping at all!!! It’s making me feel more like I’m doomed even if I keep up my hygiene and limit sugar.

Know just how you feel.
I never worried what I ate as a teenager and sweets were my weakness. Visits to the dentist were regular but always required treatment including 3 rc which I don't even remember. Just thought it was part of having teeth........
I've had weeks of feeling so depressed, shedding many a tear, however it all finally has to lead to acceptance. I can't change my teeth now, just have to do my best to save what I've got. It's what my dentist told me last week.
We just have to be thankful for what we have got even if it's bad teeth. It can loom so large and be so depressing but dentists are here to fix these problems and all we can do is trust in them. At least implants are an option these days.
I have a failed rc molar that needs removing early next year which I'll replace with an implant....but I also have 2 upper left premolars that are going through rc treatment. One is a retreat which I don't think is working. Still has abscess above. May just have to get implant for that too.
It's so depressing and costs so much but there's so much in life to do and I've had to come to it that worrying about my teeth isn't going to make them any better.... its not that I don't have my days.
Hope you find some comfort soon and keep the positive goals before you. Once your treatment is completed you'll feel a lot better. Oneself included. Still got alot of work coming up but it's the end results to look forward too. All the best.

Thank you for your kind words. I hope that everything works out for you too. I had a therapy session today so I’m trying to work through my feelings and not let this ruin my life!

Went to see Dentist #2. They cleaned my teeth too! They feel great. The hygienist said I do a great job cleaning my teeth, especially for not going in so long. So it kinda sucks that I have so many cavities when I clean so well!!! Anyway all 1,2, and 3s this time for gum pockets. She said my tissue was super tight in my mouth? Whatever that means. Interesting how different hygienist can get different numbers. I had mostly 3s at Dentist #1, but mostly 2s here. No mention of bone loss or bleeding so my gums are healthy.

I specified asked multiple times if I should be worried about losing more teeth. He said no. Not for many years. Obviously he doesn’t have a crystal ball so that only makes me feel marginally better.

Two big cavities that need filling which I knew. A couple smaller ones. He said that the fillings I had done look well done and he has no concerns about them. He said they can make it a little easier for me to floss though.

The bump is likely an inflamed gland. He said the fact that it is moveable is a good sign and that it doesn’t hurt.

The oral surgeon they refer people to is actually who I already have booked for my extractions, so will continue with that appointment and make sure bone grafting gets put in.

I’m still freaked out. Still upset. Still want to cry. But I feel a little bit better that he doesn’t think my teeth are doomed. Idk I’m still going through the grieving process of having cavities and needing RCT at all. I hope I can find some peace.

Cavities scheduled for December 15, so 2 days before my surgery. Then we will schedule the remaining cavities. Cavity? I’m not sure. It may just be one big one remaining at that point. The one thing I didn’t like is they didn’t give me a full list of suggested treatment like Dentist #1…but I didn’t ask either.

Then likely nothing until my cleaning in June. Possibly implant before then but not sure how they will time that all out. He said it is okay to wait a while if the bone graft is put in at extraction.

Gonna continue to try to take the best care I can of my teeth. I think I’ll feel a bit better once treatment is done. A lot of it will be out of the way before Christmas so that’s good at least.

Last edited:
Trying to tell myself this is ten years worth of cavities. My mom said my little brothers 14 year old friend just went to the dentist and had 4 cavities…so I guess it happens with a lot of people. I’ll do my best to take care of my teeth and go from there. Hopefully don’t need any more RCT for a loooong time. They stress me out too much with chance of failure

Plus maybe teeth replacement will be even better in 20 years or so. Hopefully I can make it to 50 without any more teeth needing extracting. Guess we’ll see.

I decided I don’t want to do Invisalign unless I need to for the implant. I’m fine with my little gap. I just want healthy teeth. I don’t need them to be perfectly straight.

He also said no signs of clenching or grinding which is surprising to me! I thought I clenched a lot due to stress, but if I do, my teeth aren’t showing it. TMJ looks good which also kinda surprising since there’s some popping when I yawn big. I told him that and he said probably nothing to worry about now, but we can monitor it if it starts bothering me more.

This dentist was much more thorough than dentist #1. He checked my bite, my lymph nodes, my TMJ, etc. they showed me photos of the problem teeth. Not sure if I’ll get Netflix during my fillings but I hope so lol. That may just be at their main location though.

Anyway…gotta keep going. Absolute worst case for me down the line is more implants. I have family who would help me financially if I ever needed full mouth implants or implant supported dentures…so I know I’m lucky in that regard.

Hoping that doesn’t happen til after 70 though when I already have my inheritance ?

Last edited:
Know just how you feel.
I never worried what I ate as a teenager and sweets were my weakness. Visits to the dentist were regular but always required treatment including 3 rc which I don't even remember. Just thought it was part of having teeth........
I've had weeks of feeling so depressed, shedding many a tear, however it all finally has to lead to acceptance. I can't change my teeth now, just have to do my best to save what I've got. It's what my dentist told me last week.
We just have to be thankful for what we have got even if it's bad teeth. It can loom so large and be so depressing but dentists are here to fix these problems and all we can do is trust in them. At least implants are an option these days.
I have a failed rc molar that needs removing early next year which I'll replace with an implant....but I also have 2 upper left premolars that are going through rc treatment. One is a retreat which I don't think is working. Still has abscess above. May just have to get implant for that too.
It's so depressing and costs so much but there's so much in life to do and I've had to come to it that worrying about my teeth isn't going to make them any better.... its not that I don't have my days.
Hope you find some comfort soon and keep the positive goals before you. Once your treatment is completed you'll feel a lot better. Oneself included. Still got alot of work coming up but it's the end results to look forward too. All the best.
Hi sunshine, I replied above but not sure if you would see if since I didn’t quote. Thank you for your kind words. I feel over dramatic as I know many people have it worse, but unfortunately logic doesn’t always help emotions lol. I had a therapy session today so working on my grieving process.

I hope everything works out for you too. RCT teeth scare me ever since I learned they can fail ? I never thought they were a big deal before, but now I really don’t like them! Good luck with your infection. I hope you aren’t in too much pain?

Ok last update until next week hopefully. I’m going to try not to stress about my teeth until my crown appointment a week from today.

Just wanted to say I’m feeling a little more optimistic and hopeful that the changes I make will help stop further decay. If I do everything right and a lot of decay still happens, at least I know I did everything in my power. I feel hopeful this dentist will do a good job on my fillings. He said my root canal that was just done looks like it was done very well. We will check it at 6 months and see if healing has started to happen, with the bone filling back in. he says it can take years for full healing, so it is a process and as long as no sign of reinfection and progress keeps happening, we should be happy. If not, possible retreatment before talking extraction. Dentist #1 didn’t talk to me about this tooth at all! Didn’t talk about healing or anything. This second dentist is much more thorough and explains things. It makes me feel more comfortable.

I’ll do whatever I have to go hold onto the rest of my natural teeth as long as possible. I’ll pay for implants as needed but I won’t be happy or worry free about it as I know problems can still happen

At least my stomach will be happy eating delicious healthy foods most days out of the year! My life will be much happier without soda and sweets vs without teeth so I hope it helps arrest decay

All the best with your appointment next week!
Take care

Well I know I said I wasn’t gonna update again but still feeling down. Just feel like all my teeth with fillings are doomed. When I had my fillings as a kid, nobody really explained to me the life cycle of a tooth with fillings.

I wish I had been told that fillings aren’t forever and will need replacing etc. I have a lot of anxiety so I could’ve been scared straight off the sugar a lot easier had I realized the damage I was doing. I’m just depressed about it being only 28. The idea of a lifetime of more dental work is hard to accept. I’m going to do what I can but I just feel ashamed. I wish I could have a second chance but unfortunately life doesn’t work that way.

I’m thinking about it less but I don’t know if I’ll get to the point where it doesn’t enter my thoughts at least a few times a day again. I just hope with my efforts that I can make a different in the prognosis of my teeth. My dentist told me not to worry about it in the short or the mid term, that long term I may need crowns for the molars but it shouldn’t be for a long time.

Unfortunately I’m still worried. I’m so jealous of people who haven’t had any cavities til their 30s and 40s!

My coworker said his grandfather has only had two cavities and he’s almost 100 years old. I feel like I’m in mourning honestly

Back