• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental treatment soon after approx. 10 years

Well I think I’m going to try to reschedule the extractions til after the new year. My insurance is up so it’ll be over 1k cheaper if I wait! My dentist said no infections so I don’t need to get it done right away… I’m gonna call and see what they have available for 2022. Hopefully that way I can have an appointment discussing the implant beforehand as well, as of now I haven’t had a chance to talk to the surgeon about it at all. So I’m not super comfortable having the tooth taken out without a firm plan of what comes next, since I know time is of the essence for implants as far as bone goes. Definitely don’t wanna have to keep adding bone grafting after the initial one, if I can help it.

Hopefully this way all my fillings will be done before surgery too. And I can enjoy Christmas lol

I got an unexpected raise at work today so hopefully that is the sign of a good week to come ?

Getting fillings tomorrow. Gonna talk to my dentist again about my fears! And talk more about implant. Im wondering if I will need orthodontics before the implant or if a timeline plan between the two should be worked on. I had Invisalign once before so I was told by dentist #1, I likely wouldn’t need ortho for long

The first dentist said I should, but I didn’t ask this dentist. My main concern is the top tooth adjacent coming out of position, and I was told orthodontics could move it back in a bit or at least hold it where it is until I get my implant. Tbh I’m kinda scared of doing more adult ortho since I’ve heard people have had issues with it, but I wanna do whatever I have to do to have the best chance of implant success and keeping all the rest of my teeth until I’m old and gray lol

I hope my filling in my front tooth goes well. This one has been stressing me out for months so I hope it is simple!

Oh…also hope I get to use the headset for Netflix

Hi Izzybelly2,

I'm 27 and this morning had a root canal, first molar extraction and three fillings. I have been reading your post and felt exactly the same as you regarding the extraction. I'm so young, other people's tell are fine etc. I feel so much better after it's been done!

I am getting my invisilyn in January after this has settled and then will look at an implant. I have however seen that they can colour the side of the retainer so that it looks like a tooth as a temporary measure.

Hi Izzybelly2,

I'm 27 and this morning had a root canal, first molar extraction and three fillings. I have been reading your post and felt exactly the same as you regarding the extraction. I'm so young, other people's tell are fine etc. I feel so much better after it's been done!

I am getting my invisilyn in January after this has settled and then will look at an implant. I have however seen that they can colour the side of the retainer so that it looks like a tooth as a temporary measure.
Thanks so much Frankie. I’m glad it went well for you and I hope everything heals painlessly for you! I’m hoping I will feel better once it’s all done too. It is comforting to hear someone my age is going through the same thing although I wish neither of us had to lol

Hopefully we can both keep the rest of our teeth for a very long time

I agree! it felt like everyone around me had perfect teeth and I was completely the odd one out. Don't worry too much if at all possible. No one will just you even if they can see any dental work!

I am starting to stress out a bit about my appointment today. It is in 1 1/2 hours. I just hope the fillings go okay. And I wonder what he will say about my crown that dentist #1 placed. I’m stressed out!!!! I did cancel my extractions and they said I can come in January. I feel more comfortable with that, so I can discuss the implant more prior to getting the tooth taken out… I hope in one year I’m chilling happily with my implant and no tooth concerns

Had the fillings. It went okay but I didn’t get a chance to ask him all my questions. Watched a movie while he did them. Idk I’m feeling beat down again about needing so much work at this age. Had I kept going all through my twenties, I wouldn’t be in such bad shape.

Supposed to go back Jan. 5 for the rest of my fillings. I just feel sick about the state of my teeth. I wish I could have a do over

I look at people around me and feel such jealousy. Coworkers sipping on mountain dew all day with no tooth worries. I know because I've been talking with people about their teeth a lot more since I started worrying lol.

My own mother pretty much only drinks pop. She only drinks water at night time. It is diet soda, but I know it is still acidic. She snacks on chips and sweets consistently throughout the day. She used to wake up every single night and between 11-12 and eat cookies, or a snack cake, or candy. She'd just hop right into bed without brushing. I don't know if she still does this, but as of 5 years ago she did.

Anyway, she told me she's only had 4 fillings her whole life?? She is missing a tooth in the top back, but she smokes (secretly) so I wouldn't be surprised if that was just due to poor gums.

How can she be so careless with her hygiene and habits and still have minimal cavities? Doesn't make sense to me!

I truly thought my hygiene routine was enough. I knew sugar would affect it some, but I figured just a small cavity here or there, not the total ruin of my teeth that I am dealing with.

I know this likely comes off as overdramatic to some on here. And I'm sorry for that. But just having such bad teeth at this age, when ideally I will live another 60 years... it is terrifying. Sure, there may be better filling material in 25 years, but at that point, all my fillings will probably be too far gone anyway and need root canals and crowns. So I wouldn't even benefit from that.

I'm trying to tell myself to just enjoy my teeth while I have them. To take care of them best I can and cherish them. Just feels inevitable that I'll end up with a mouthful of crowns. And then how long with the crowns last? If I'm 65 with a mouthful of crowns, not too worried about it. Not happy, but at least the chances of most of them making it to my death are high even if they need replacing a time or two. If I'm 40 with a mouthful of crowns, I'm a lot more concerned about my long-term prognosis. I love that implants are an option, but they come with a whole other set of worries and issues.

It's funny, I've always felt uglier than my friends. Hated my face, hated the gap in my teeth, hated my skin, etc. Now I would LOVE to have my teeth, my facial structure, etc. if I could just have healthy teeth. I look in the mirror and think I'm cute the way I am currently. The idea of my face changing due to teeth problems is hardest for me I think. Dentures would suck to wear, but if they didn't cause your jaw to shrink and facial collapse, I wouldn't be that worried. I really wish I had learned all about this when I was a kid. Even 5 years ago. Can't turn back time, but sure wish I could!

I know what you mean about being jealous of people who can eat whatever and do minimal home cleaning and still get no cavities. My husband is like that. He eats a lot of candy and he brushes his teeth once day before bedtime. No floss, etc. He hardly goes to the dentist and when he does he never has a cavity and minimal plaque.

I think it's related to our mouth bacteria or something in our saliva that makes us more prone to cavities and plaque.

I know what you mean about being jealous of people who can eat whatever and do minimal home cleaning and still get no cavities. My husband is like that. He eats a lot of candy and he brushes his teeth once day before bedtime. No floss, etc. He hardly goes to the dentist and when he does he never has a cavity and minimal plaque.

I think it's related to our mouth bacteria or something in our saliva that makes us more prone to cavities and plaque.
Hi Booble,

I think so too from what I've been reading. Which is so disheartening because it makes it seem like no matter what I do it won't be enough! Bad luck of the draw I guess. Teeth are such an important thing for nutrition and appearance that it is really an awful thing to have bad luck with :(

anyway just feeling hopeless today. More crying at work. When I call my mom to complain she says she worried about me and I should try to get anxiety meds. I don’t want to take a pill everyday. It isn’t going to help the root of the problem which is that I have a mouth full of bad teeth. No pill can change that. If it could I’d give all my savings for it.

It’s like putting a bandaid on an issue. I don’t want to numb myself to this. I created this problem by not going to the dentist for ten years. I am suffering the consequences. I might be miserable but at least I’m not pretending it’s all okay.

I’ve written so much here and it is all me just feeling sorry for myself. I just can’t talk to people in real life about this too much because they get tired of hearing it. I don’t date because I don’t like physical affection much, so I live alone. At least writing it out is better than it being locked in my head.

Thanks to everyone who read this and has tried to make me feel better. Sometimes I feel better for a while but this horrible feeling keeps coming back.

It's totally understandable to have good days and bads days. Let's face it and be honest we pretty much all do. Some days I try and forget about my terrible teeth, how I've neglected them over the years and other days, well, I wish every one of them could be replaced. Not sure how much longer they are going to last however I have to try keep telling myself that it could be so much worse. Google before and after dental treatments. Its an encouragement what can be done these days.
I've always kept up with dental visits but still have heavily filled teeth. It is very depressing and I wish I paid better attention to them when I was younger.
Never knew they required so much care and attention. Strange how some people can eat, drink what they like,when they like, hardly brush, never floss and still very few fillings, if any. Guess it's just luck.

Keep positive, don't think of the past and your smile will be fixed soon.
Easier said than done, I know...... I totally understand and sure so many do on here.

Take care.

It's totally understandable to have good days and bads days. Let's face it and be honest we pretty much all do. Some days I try and forget about my terrible teeth, how I've neglected them over the years and other days, well, I wish every one of them could be replaced. Not sure how much longer they are going to last however I have to try keep telling myself that it could be so much worse. Google before and after dental treatments. Its an encouragement what can be done these days.
I've always kept up with dental visits but still have heavily filled teeth. It is very depressing and I wish I paid better attention to them when I was younger.
Never knew they required so much care and attention. Strange how some people can eat, drink what they like,when they like, hardly brush, never floss and still very few fillings, if any. Guess it's just luck.

Keep positive, don't think of the past and your smile will be fixed soon.
Easier said than done, I know...... I totally understand and sure so many do on here.

Take care.
Thanks Sunshine. I spent last night reading about other people struggles after watching a tik tok of a 25 year old in hospice care with terminal cancer. It gave me some perspective. That woman would give anything to trade the problems I’m having with my teeth for what she is going through. As far as I know, I am healthy otherwise. I’m going to remind myself of this when it gets hard.

I may go see another dentist as well. I thought I felt comfy with dentist #2 but my fillings appointment made me second guess. Didn’t answer any questions regarding implant and the assistant wasn’t even going to book my appointment for my next filling. I had to remind them! And it’s a big cavity. She said “well…we will see you in six months” as if I don’t have a tooth that needs extracting, implant, Invisalign buttons to be removed and another 2 fillings for a big cavity and a chipped tooth. And she was looking right at my treatment plan. Just seemed odd to me now that I think about it. I’m not sure if this office is who I want to be doing the crown on my implant.

I think finding the right dentist will do a lot in helping me feel better. It’s too important of a thing to not get right.

I’ve gotta be honest, I think some of my anxiety and tooth twinges come from obsessively reading about teeth lately. I never noticed my teeth in my mouth until the last couple months. Now I feel them all the time!

I was reading about brain cancer the other night and have had awful headaches since then. I think my body is very good at producing pain when my mind tells it something is wrong, if that makes sense lol.

So I guess I’m going to try to stop reading about teeth for a while. I have reached out to a few new dentists so I can try to find someone to stick with long term. I’ll be back once I have some new news I’m sure. For now I’m trying to put it out of my mind. I’m clenching a lot too due to stress which is making some of my teeth sore…which just spikes the anxiety.

So hopefully distraction will work for me. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas if you celebrate! And happy holidays to anyone who doesn’t ?

A very Merry Christmas to you, too :xmastree:

Wishing you the very best of luck with your search for a long-term dentist - I hope you'll be able to find someone who ticks all the boxes :cloud9:

Well I’m back! My crown feels really weird. It just feels huge for my mouth and it looks big too? It’s a premolar but it looks as big as the molar next to it almost. Definitely feels like my teeth are hitting the crown before the rest of my teeth which I know isn’t good.

My boss suggested I go to his dentist that he’s been going to for 40 years and that his kids go to. They’re not in network with my insurance but I honestly don’t care anymore lol

I’ll do anything to find a dentist I feel comfortable with that can save my teeth for decades to come. Gonna try to call them tomorrow. The funny thing is…dentist #1 used to work at the practice my boss suggested, but only for a year before he left to the practice he’s at now. I only knew that from looking at Facebook. My boss didn’t see him though, just the main practice owner. I would want to see the practice owner too.

I’m still really freaked out by all my fillings. Still hating my teeth. Still feeling like food is the enemy since that is what got me into this mess in the first place I guess, since I always brushed and had good hygiene.

I just really want to make it to at least 50 without needing another tooth extracted. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Will update if I get an appointment at my boss’s dentist.

Distraction hasn't been working. Not really feeling any better. It actually hurts to hope that I can keep most of my teeth throughout my whole life. I'm grieving all the ones that have had fillings. Some are pretty big so I know they won't last forever. I've only ever had composite my whole life. It just sucks. I know implants are a thing but people have trouble with those failing too.

I'm still going to take care of my teeth as best I can, but it really does feel hopeless. Many root canals and crowns are likely in my future. Obviously want to prolong that as long as possible...but I'm so aware of every filling in my mouth. I hate them. I hate the way my mouth feels now.

Not sure what I'll do if this RCT doesn't heal. Won't be able to bear it I'm sure.

Maybe I'll feel better after seeing a third dentist. Probably not. Seems like I only feel worse after each dentist I see.

I made an appointment for January 4.
This dentist is a bit of a drive but looks a lot better than the others I've been to. They called me after I wrote a long thing explaining my issues and the receptionist (is that the right term?) was super nice about my anxiety. I explained my fear of losing my teeth and how I need a dentist to "give it to me straight"

This is a dentist who has been working for over 20 years...so I just feel more secure with someone like that versus my other two who just recently graduated. I know that maybe isn't fair, but someone who has seen lots of mouths feels more comforting to me than someone who has less experience, especially since covid took out a lot of practice time. They have all the up to date tech and stuff as well.

I'm willing to beg and borrow for whatever money I have to, to get my mouth up to par. I hope this dentist can finally help me calm down a bit about my mouth. OR give me a honest answer about if I should be super worried, so I can work on preparing myself. He will look at my fillings I had done, look at the crown, etc.

Hopefully third time is the charm!

Teeth are hurting. Really worried my root canal isn’t going to be successful or that my recently filled teeth now need rct

Can’t deal ?

Back