• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental work with cold and post nasal drip?

U

Useruser

Hi all,
I am just down with common cold. Symptoms like running nose, sneezing and post nasal drip. Been to the doctor and got some medicines. I have a dental appointment tomorrow to smooth up the teeth which the dentist filed down my bite on Friday. It's so sharp. So they will smooth it up. Also, I want to do the filling redo. It's on the same tooth. If the dentist have some time to do that tomorrow,they will combine both appointment as one and redo the filling instead of smoothing it.
So, can I go and redo it ? Is it ok to do when we are sick? Any inputs?

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Hi,

It would be certainly kind of you to contact before hand and inform the clinic about your sickness.
If you feel malaise or feverish, that’s a definitely no-go. If it is just a cold, it is up for your dentist to decide about having or canceling the appointment (because of the danger of spreading the bugs to others).
Filing down the sharp pain edge should take a few seconds so I guess it should be doable. Redoing a filling can be more challenging especially if you find it hard to breath through the nose.
Hope I helped rather than confused.

U

Useruser

Hi,

It would be certainly kind of you to contact before hand and inform the clinic about your sickness.
If you feel malaise or feverish, that’s a definitely no-go. If it is just a cold, it is up for your dentist to decide about having or canceling the appointment (because of the danger of spreading the bugs to others).
Filing down the sharp pain edge should take a few seconds so I guess it should be doable. Redoing a filling can be more challenging especially if you find it hard to breath through the nose.
Hope I helped rather than confused.
Thank you so much for your reply. Appreciate it.
I thought like smoothing out the sharp edge on the tooth and refilling again on the same tooth after a week will be like drilling out again on the same tooth.
I will just go tomorrow to smooth it up and will go to refill next week once I feel better.
I will talk to them tomorrow. They might say to wait and come directly to the refill after a week. Let me see.
Does sharp edges go off on own in a week?

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Thank you so much for your reply. Appreciate it.
I thought like smoothing out the sharp edge on the tooth and refilling again on the same tooth after a week will be like drilling out again on the same tooth.
I will just go tomorrow to smooth it up and will go to refill next week once I feel better.
I will talk to them tomorrow. They might say to wait and come directly to the refill after a week. Let me see.
Does sharp edges go off on own in a week?
Yes they can especially if you bite on that tooth hard things like carrots.

U

Useruser

Yes they can especially if you bite on that tooth hard things like carrots.
Thank you so much for your reply.
I will surely try that. In that way, I can skip an appointment and go for the filling redo.